Morse Code vs. Text Messaging

ezdays

Out AZ way
You don't have to know morse code to know that since this was the "fastest text messager in the US", this has to be an embarrassment to all those text messagers out there.

Hooray for old technology :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Art Decko

That kid was America's fastest text messenger? Ha! I can text almost as fast as the morse coders!

I competed with the video. When the morse coders finished, on my phone I had typed "I just saved a bunch of monez on my car in" - only seven characters less in the same time (w/one error).

Here in China, text messenging is used A LOT because it's much cheaper than talking on your phone. I would say 95% of my cell phone use is messenging, only 5% speaking! When I first moved here it seemed a hopelessly slow and inefficient form of communication, but after a few years of practicing two-thumb "typing" on a tiny keypad (gives new meaning to "I'm all thumbs"), I can text as fast as the locals. :)

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Not really fair since you know what the message is. You save time by not having to read the message. it would take you a few more secinds if you did not know the message.

MC is still the fastest with less error. :)

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Oh if I might add I don't think American kids ever talk on their cell. At least I have never seen them and I know mine never do except when I call them.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Do you look at them while they're driving? wall1 sign1
Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be a factor. Witness those that have accidents where that's the last thing they ever did. A local TV station interviewed kids that drive, and most of them said they either send or receive text messages, or both while driving.:eek: And I've seen adults doing it as well and it doesn't make sense that anyone would take those kind of risks...

And oh yeah, they told the reporter that they knew it wasn't right.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

w8jy

In an interview in one of the amateur radio magazines, the morse code operator said he was only sending at about 26 (if I remember right) words per minute. Many of us can operate at 40 to 45 wpm, and I have a friend who can copy 60 wpm in his head while carrying on another conversation!

Critics say it is an obsolete mode of operation, and a code test is no longer required for licensing in the U.S. Tune around the ham bands Thanksgiving weekend and you will see how many of us old dinosaurs still use code!

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
MC rules kids are just too lazy to learn something cool.

Well I have been known to be able to read a book while driving, something I like to do. A practice that I have long since stopped.

You know when it comes to kids and driving you can't just blame the cell phone. If there was no cell phone they would find other distractions that would be just as bad.

In my days it was the Walkman that got all the blame for youth driving deaths. You all remember those don't you? :)