Morning interlude...

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
It's an overcast morning in Lowbanks, but nowhere near as dark as the mood of the Conductor on the morning mixed. His train is already 17 minutes past its scheduled departure time, mail and baggage have been loaded and the passengers are restless.
fresh_foe-toes_077.jpg

On the headend, the hogger looks back along the train and checks his Hamilton for about the tenth time, anxious to get underway. Meanwhile, the fireman chucks a scoop of coal through the butterfly doors of the firebox, trying to keep the needle pegged at 200 lbs. without setting off the pops, as he knows his engineer will be on the throttle the moment that he gets the highball.
fresh_foe-toes_0751.jpg

Seconds after the firebox doors clang shut, there's a long moan of a steamboat whistle, blowing for its approach to the Lowbanks station, followed by two quick longs, a short, and, as it hurtles by at well-over the posted 15 mph limit through the station, the final long for the grade crossing near the stockyards.
fresh_foe-toes_0791.jpg

This is the reason the 27 and her train have been cooling their heels on this dreary morning. It's an Extra of high-priority reefers off the TH&B interchange, in the charge of EG&E Mohawk 4807.
fresh_foe-toes_0801.jpg

As she hits the Lowbanks crossing, already doing over 30, even though the tailend has yet to clear the station, the hogger is hooking her up, building momentum for the grade that begins at the far end of the Maitland River bridge.
fresh_foe-toes_0811.jpg

Motorists are startled by the sight of this unexpected visitor, and surprised by her speed.
fresh_foe-toes_0831.jpg

Some familiar roadnames flash by:
fresh_foe-toes_084.jpg

fresh_foe-toes_085.jpg

fresh_foe-toes_086.jpg

fresh_foe-toes_087.jpg

Then some less often seen:
fresh_foe-toes_088.jpg

fresh_foe-toes_089.jpg

And then, for our rural venue, some glimpses of faraway places:
fresh_foe-toes_090.jpg

fresh_foe-toes_091.jpg

fresh_foe-toes_092.jpg

fresh_foe-toes_093.jpg

fresh_foe-toes_094.jpg

fresh_foe-toes_095.jpg

fresh_foe-toes_096.jpg

fresh_foe-toes_097.jpg

And finally, snapping the awestruck drivers back to reality, the caboose rockets past.
fresh_foe-toes_098.jpg

Meanwhile, the headend has gained the far end of the bridge...
fresh_foe-toes_1021.jpg

and started into the grade...
fresh_foe-toes_101.jpg

a gloved hand is on the whistle cord for the next crossing, as the Extra leans into the curve...
fresh_foe-toes_1041.jpg

under a clear stack, and still gaining speed, in spite of the grade...
fresh_foe-toes_1031.jpg

As the loco rolls across the bridge at Chippawa Creek, the engineer makes a reduction on the brake pipe, keeping the throttle open, as he stretches the slack for the curving entry into Elfrida. There's another train in the hole on the passing siding here, but her crew gets only a perfunctory wave as the throttle artiste on the 4807 is busy hooking her up into the company notch for the assault on the grade to Cayuga Junction.
fresh_foe-toes_1091.jpg

It's plain to see that there'll be no water stop here today, and one speeder that'll not be stopped either.
fresh_foe-toes_1101.jpg

A final glimpse as the Extra rolls through South Cayuga. She'll stop for water near the Dunnville Station, then roll through the High Yard, across the Grand River bridge, and back onto home rails, for the dash north.
fresh_foe-toes_1111.jpg

The 4807 is a modified Bachmann USRA Light Mountain, and her train is made-up of cars from Athearn, Intermountain, and Red Caboose, many of which have just been built or modified, and painted and lettered.

Wayne

chessie4155

Mar 17, 2006
Vincennes, Ind.
www.geocities.com
WOW! That was great! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Well done Wayne. I was captured by the story line and watched each picture as if I were trackside. I could almost hear the sounds, smell the smoke, and feel the wind hit my face as the Special blew past. Excellent..
More.. More...More!!

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
FANTASTIC "tag-along"

FANTASTIC "tag-along" Wayne!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: I THOROUGHLY ENJOYED IT!!!:D you COULDN'T have done the "trip" with a better engine Wayne;), #4807 is -BAR NONE- my FAVORITE steamer you have:thumb::D. ALL the cars looked STUPENDOUS:thumb:, VERY WELL detailed and weathered. to be honest with you, i don't know which i liked better, the PFE's or the EG-E's, sure I'm a die hard Union Pacific fan:D, but those "way of the warrior" cars are just SLAP AWESOME!!!:thumb: THANK YOU WAYNE!:D, TRULY AN OUTSTANDING JOB!:thumb: :D -Deano

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
That was enjoyable. Great job. It is always a treat to see so many pictures of your layout and that roll-by was great, highlighting all the fine details of the engines and cars.

I am amazed by the details all over your layout. So many good ideas, deliberate and thoughtful details. What a tremendous layout you have Wayne. My hat's off to you sir. Feel free to do this again at other places around your layout any time...I know I'll enjoy it and I bet there's many others here that will too.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
OOohhhhh my God...!!! Here I am just glued to the monitor (at work, BTW) and I let out a whoop "OPEN ICE HATCHES...!!!"...Good thing I have an office of my own...:D
Best roll-by EVER...!!!:thumb:

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Just admit it Deano, you like those PFE's most. Though I do agree that all the cars in this train look great. I myself feel pretty partial to the Santa Fe's. Those EG-E's are really nice looking. I keep wanting to get them confused with the EJ&E though