more weight please

Virginian

Jan 27, 2001
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Visit site
Hi y'all
I'm hoping for ideas of how to add weight to the LL proto 2k 2-8-8-2. There's not much room under the the boiler...not much room period ...if I add about 6 ounces sitting on top, she'll climb my club's steepest grade with about 20-25 cars... as is..10-12 is the max..
Any suggestions??
VGN

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi VGN, what about inside the boiler, thats where I tend to add weight inside my boilers if there is enough room.

cheers
Shamus
waver.gif

http://www.badger-creek.co.uk

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
People,

When it comes to adding weight, let me ask you fellows about clay....
confused.gif

Someone in a club used modelling clay because it could be shaped to fit anywhere, and to any desired thickness. He wrapped it in cellophane (Saran Wrap) to prevent moisture from getting out (minutely reducing weight in the process)as well as to prevent any oils from staining surfaces.

Have you ever heard of or seen this practise? The man doing this was the only one I ever heard of who did it, and it seems like a very logical solution for tight spaces of odd shape.

Please dissect this idea.

George.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
If you mold the clay to the proper shape, you can then use it to make a mold which you can then fill with low melting point metal, such as walthers temp-lo.
Regards, Gary

Shay2

Feb 12, 2001
Ohio, USA
trainster.20m.com
VGN, George, Gary et all...

I've heard /read of the clay, molded to the shape you require and then baked to harden it. Then make a new mold from the back of the original shape and bake again. Then poor in the Walthers low temp metal.

Make sure you use baking clay which has minimal shrinking.

You can use plaster for a mold. Line the inside of the body in Saran-Wrap. poor in plaster and let it harden before removing. (watch those nooks and cranny's) Then poor a reverse mold of plaster to make a sandwich. The second mold is your templet and Walthers lead won't stick to it.

These suggestions I copied from someplace for my future reference.I haven't tried either, however the idea sounds do-able!

Rich

------------------
Rush Run River Logging Co.

JeffGerow

Feb 13, 2001
Winthrop, MA, USA
Visit site
I've had good luck using lead flashing --available from most home supply stores as it is used for flashing around chimneys. It comes in sheets, and, since it's lead, it's easily cutable and bendable. For small areas I cut it small and stuff it into the space (I use Goo to hold it in place, so I can get it out if necessary). Lead is great 'cause it around the heaviest per volume (unless you want to use depleted uranium, which is way heavier, but it might make your engine glow <g> )

Virginian

Jan 27, 2001
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Visit site
thanks everyone,
Haven't spent much time on this problem lately..
Been workin'on the N at a fevered pitch...but will be adding all your suggestions to my data base.
As I said, there's not much room...my first thought( and another P2k mallet owner's suggestion) was to add lead weight inside the boiler...but there's very little space available under the 'hood'.
the molding suggestions seem most promising..I was thinking of casting the entire top boiler half in brass!!!LOL
rolleyes.gif

VGN