More Tips 'n Tricks

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Drew1125, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Thought I'd start this one up again...
    The other day, I saw a thread where someone was trying to get a "concrete" base just right, so a structure would fit nicely on it...
    I have always had this structures, nor the bases I build are very precise, & I'm left with gaps galore!
    What I've learned is that this can be an opportunity, rather than an obstacle...imperfections can always be hidden, & all it requires is some imagination...
    Here's an example of one of my structures that had a large gap between the bottom of the building, & the "concrete" scenic base.
    So I used a combination of some various "junk", & a fence, to disguise the flaw...I really think I ended up with a nicer looking scene, than if I had just had a "perfect" building sitting on a "perfect" concrete slab...

Attached Files:

2. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

You got that right Charlie! :cool: Nice work my friend!
  3. RI541

RI541 Member

That looks great Charlie.

I use Dura Bond for my slabs. Its a powered form of joint compound that sets up real hard,and it comes in dirrerant working times. I use Durabond 20 on the lay-out but in the "real" world I like the 45.But it also comes in 90 and 210 minute working times.
    I even use it for grade crossings.
    The only problem is its real hard to sand.
  4. BillD53A

BillD53A Member

Before I tried to use a plaster-like substance for this, I would use styrene, foamcore, cardstock, or even Strathmore paper. As you have discovered, use debris, weeds, piles of dirt etc. to hide the gaps. Bill
  5. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Charlie,
    Very nice work. I like the "junk", & fence. Nothing is ever perfect, some of my structures have JUNK around them to hide the fact that they are not bedded in yet. Will have to get around to it someday.

6. Catt

Catt Guest

Here you go Shamus. :D

7. RI541

RI541 Member

:) :D :)

haven't seen one of them for a while, almost as long since i've seen the wooden nickles:D