More questions

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by ntg, May 28, 2005.

1. ntg

ntg New Member

Questions about steamers and other stuff

After doing some research, I have found that the Chicago,St Paul,Minneapolis & Omaha railroads did have an Omaha line, "The Omaha Road". Well I have found some pictures on the internet of some steamers and I have some questions.

What does 4-6-2 class I-2 series 383-387 mean also

4-4-2 class g-3 series 364-369

Also, Are any of these available as models in H. O. scale? Do they blow steam out of the stacks?

Also, what are road numbers. I was looking at Atlas web sight, and they have new locos out with new "road numbers"

I'm a newbie to this whole railroad thing, so I appreciate all your knowldege

2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

"Road numbers" are the big numbers on the side of a locomotive. They're identifiers for various reasons, and usually are assigned in groups so that the railroaders know the characteristics of the locomotives. For decades, model manufacturers made their locomotives (and boxcars) with only one number, and kept that number for decades. Sometimes not a right number. Now they're releasing models with either several numbers at the same time, or a new number each year.
    4-6-2 means a locomotive with 4 small wheels at the front, 6 big drivers in the middle and 2 small wheels under the cab. 4-4-2 similar but only 4 drivers.
    I assume that I-2 and G-3 are the Omaha's class for the locomotives -- I for the 4-6-2 and G for the 4-4-2. 2 and 3 may mean the 2nd and 3rd order of this type, or they may mean there are differences in driver size, boiler type or some other fittings.
    383-387 are probably the road numbers of those locomotives.
    You didn't ask but:
    4-6-2 and 4-4-2 are the "Whyte" system of classifying steam locos by the wheels.
    4-6-2 locos are also called Pacifics and 4-4-2 are called Atlantics. Both were considered good passenger types. There are names for most of the other wheel arrangements.
  3. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Only live steam locos put out steam, but you can get engines with "smoke units" in the stack. However, it often does not look realistic, and eventually will leave an oily residue on your layout.

4. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

You really don't want to use "smoke fluid" on an ho scale layout. The track will get filthy quickly and you will have to spend more time cleaning than running. The "smoke" isn't very realistic, but it is only useful on "o" gauge and larger equipment.