More Photos of 1979 Dodge Magnum WIP, 2-9-08

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Mark Crowel, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Photos of Completed 1979 Dodge Magnum Build.

Model completed 3-23-08. See the build photos here in these posts.

Many years ago, before the Dodge Magnum was introduced as a station wagon, it was a sport coupe. These sport coupes were produced only during 1978 and 1979, and they were based on the 1975-79 Chrysler Cordoba body shells.

1979 Dodge Magnum sport coupe body-in-progress, along with an earlier photo of the interior. This model is based on a Magnum I saw in a dealer's showroom in 1979.

Attached Files:

2. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Very interesting. I'm going to have to do something like this for my 65 Galaxy. Looking forward to seeing this come together.:thumb: Are building this off of measurements of one you own, or off of some kind of print, or drawing?
  3. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

I hand-draw my own scale drawings from pictures of the actual car. My design and construction methods are completely old school: rulers, T-square, triangle, circle and curve gauges, etc.

Structure material is chipboard (backs of writing tablets, cereal boxes, shoe boxes...). Color is applied by gluing colored paper over the chipboard. Brightwork is silver coated cardboard.

Do you need someone to do drawings and patterns for your '65 Galaxy?
  4. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Not at this time, I've got two of these and I'm going to PA to pick up another one ASAP, however, I do appreciate the offer and will take you up on it if I need to thanks!:thumb:
  5. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

More build photos.

Here they are:

Attached Files:

6. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

The Completed 1979 Dodge Magnum Model.

The brightwork is silver coated cardboard, and each wheel is made from at least eight chipboard circles glued together.

Scale of the model is 1/24. It's about 8.5 to 9 inches long.

Plans, patterns and instructions are available for this model. Please send a visitor or private message for information.

Attached Files:

7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looks great! Love the landau top :)
  8. Nice work Mark! Very unique. You are probably the only person on the whole planet who hand builds model cars in this manner. Did you develop the method yourself, or did you have a mentor? Regardless of how you got there, the results are striking.
  9. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Thank you.

I learned the method on my own about 25 years ago, when I was teaching myself to scratchbuild. I needed a method that would simplify the car's design enough to make design and construction easy, yet still capture the identity and personality of the car.

However, I did not invent this method. Not long after I started building this way, I learned that those who build wooden models sometimes use this sectional "bread and butter style" type of construction.