More people That just don't get it..

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
Although I spank isn't always the answer I believe that those kids that put the crackers by the tracks need a big wollop!

I got spanked, my father got spanked and all our ancestors probably did- it's not abuse, because we knew why we got the belt or feather duster, so my kids will get spanked, if they need to be, one has to remember the difference between being mischivious and naughtY.

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
I forget the name of the movie but it took place in West Virginia about a group of kids building model rockets. The one later went to work for NASA.

They needed some stronger metal so they took a section of track from an abandoned rail line. Just after they got is off the ties they heard a train coming. They ran up the line trying to stop the train only to find they were on the siding and the train continued down the main line.

[FONT=&quot]Now that was tempting fate for a group of teenagers.

Penny candy now that makes anyone old! :) Strange I remember buying penny candy and 5cent bottles of coke out of those water coolers that were popular when I was a kid. :) :)

I had the butler put the penny on the tracks.
[/FONT]

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
my two cents,as yet unflattened, goes like this.I got lotsa "discipline" when I ws a kid and I deserved all of it, I think it did me a lot of good and has a lot to do with my work ethic,honesty,dependability,etc.Those are traits I feel very few of todays youth are familiar with. I could go on but I recon you get my point.
I also put lots of pennys onthe track but my favorite was when we were lucky enough to find a "torpedo" put it on the rain and drop a rock from the top of a boxcar on it, We did not let trains run over them 'cause we knew what they were for.
See I told you I deserved it.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
I seem to remember a movie. I think it was "Toby Tyler", where the kid put a short length of chain on the tracks. Instant early modern art. :D :D

I heard a long time ago that if you put a dime under the front of a locomotive's drive wheel that it would prevent the train from moving. That without any momentum it would be unable to climb over the dime. Comments? :) That would be one for the Mythbusters. :D :D

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I don't know about a locomotive and a dime, but I've seen a very unlikely object prevent a piece of heavy machinery from moving. In the steel mill where I worked, we had a number of four-wheeled cover trucks for lifting the lids off the soaking pits. These trucks ran on rails, a double-flanged wheel at each corner, about 20' apart. They had an electric motor that powered a pair of wheels at one end, and another motor that lifted the cover. They could be operated remotely from the overhead cranes, or from a floor station, or manually by an operator riding right on them. I don't know what the horsepower of the motor driving the wheels was, but the truck probably weighed 20 or 25 tons, and the pit cover was another 30 or so. One day the crane operator called down on the intercom that the cover truck that he needed to use had stopped. A quick check showed none of the overloads had been tripped, and indeed, it would run in the opposite direction with no trouble. However, going the other way, it ran fine for a short distance, then slowed, and finally stopped. Now, ingots were often placed on the floor between pits for various reasons: these will stop almost anything, but the stop is sudden, loud, and very dusty. The only other thing that we could think of that could do this would be something on one of the rails, like a chunk of scrap, or perhaps some broken firebrick, but usually this stuff is pushed off the rail by a steel plate on the outboard end of each wheel and about 2" above the railhead, installed for just this purpose. A quick check around the wheels revealed the culprit: it was a rolled-up section out of a newspaper, not at all that thick. It could have easily been slipped into a person's back pocket without making it uncomfortable to sit down. I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it.

Wayne

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
When I was growing up I distinctly recall my father giving one of the neighbors permission to whip my butt if I acted up while in thier possession. I never let it get that far because I knew that if that happened I'd get it twice as bad when my father found out.

I also realized that I needed to get more descrete with my antics and start using common sense (that didn't always work) As for whining about getting my arse warmed by a belt...it probably should have happened more times than not.

I bet they still don't know about the flaming tennis balls.