More Ironton Northern Photos

railohio

Alright, I know I've been slackin' a bit when it comes to working on my layout, but I've been sidetracked (HA!) by a few other interests.

What have I done on my layout? Well, not a whole lot. But, I have received a new digital camera, which will hopefull make for better layout photos. So, here's a quick overview of my layout and an explanation of a few of the projects pictured....

railohio

This is an overview of the town of Gallipolis on my layout. In real life it is located along the Ohio River in southeastern Ohio. This is one of two towns modeled on my layout.

The track on the far left, going into the blue building, serves Boylerwerx, a hobby distrobution center. The track running parallel to the building serves another (unchosen) industry beyond that. Moving to the right, the next track serves a concrete plant and another unchosen industry; the one parallel to that serves a steel fabrication plant. The curving track to the right serves a bulk commodities distrobution center as well as a team track.

Attachments

• gallipolisoverview.jpg
    gallipolisoverview.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 283
  • gallipolisoverview.jpg
    gallipolisoverview.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 282

railohio

This is a view of the same town, from a different angle. Hopefully this will help in further understanding the layout of the industries.

Attachments

• gallipolisreverse.jpg
    gallipolisreverse.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 283
  • gallipolisreverse.jpg
    gallipolisreverse.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 284

railohio

Here is a view of Boylerwerx, my first kitbashing project, with one of my favorite cars spotted outside. Most people wouldn't be able to pick it out, but this building started out as the kraft mill from the Walthers Superior Paper Mill kit. :D

Attachments

• boylerwerxdti.jpg
    boylerwerxdti.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 278
  • boylerwerxdti.jpg
    boylerwerxdti.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 277

railohio

This is a view of the other side of my layout, the city of Ironton. This is the lower part of the city, where the yard will be located. The line that goes off to the left is the Ironton Terminal Railway, a subsidiary operation that handles most switching in the city and operates a bridge over the Ohio River into Kentucky for interchange with the C&O. The blue building to the right of that is the loader for Gibert Gravel. The large open area will soon become a four-track classification yard for the Ironton Northern. To the right, the run-around track serves as an interchange yard while the repainted Atlas signal tower guards the junction of the Ironton Northern, DT&I, and N&W.

Attachments

• irontonyardsite.jpg
    irontonyardsite.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 271
  • irontonyardsite.jpg
    irontonyardsite.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 278

railohio

Finally, here's a photo of "The Fleet" as it looks now. One thing conspicuously missing is an Ironton Northern engine; having pursued a few other hobbies recently I don't have the money to acquire any INNR power at the moment. On the left is a Life-Like SW1200 that's in the process of being relettered for the Ironton Terminal. All that remains is adding the name on the side of the hood. To the right of that is a stock Atlas GP9 painted for the DT&I. Next is a rather special engine. It's an Atlas/Kato GP30 that started out in BN green and black but was repainted by our very own Catt for his home road, the Grand Valley. To the right of that is another of Catt's creations, an Atlas SD35 painted for his leasing company, JELX. I acquired both of these units a few years ago in a motive power swap with him and I have been forever in his debt since. Thanks, John! ;)

Attachments

• thefleet.jpg
    thefleet.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 281
  • thefleet.jpg
    thefleet.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 281

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Your new digital camera is doing a good job Brian. Nice to see your progress and am looking forward to see what the future holds. I am also fortunate to have one of Catt's GVR locos.
That was the begining of the creation of NARA

Sir_Prize

At least YOUR making progress. I'm moving M-U-C-H S-L-O-W-E-R.
I need to kick pretty hard though. Oh welll.... :rolleyes:

Looks like it's shaping up very well.:D

railohio

Picked up a bunch of new toys in Deshler this weekend at the swap meet. Walked out with ten MDC car kits for $25 and four Atlas turnouts for $10. Here's a shot of the new cars.

Attachments

• nikon0214.jpg
    nikon0214.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 149

babydot94513

Member in training
Brian, is your entire layout base made of 3 layers of foamboard?

If it is, that has to be one of the most unique approaches I have seen and will likely use - assuming that it has no drawbacks?

Anyone have any input on this???

railohio

Two layers, actually, two inches each. Right now it's sitting on my old HO layout, but I'm going to build a frame out of one-by-two pine stock this fall and use folding table legs to hold it up. Will definately post photos of that when I get it done.

No major drawbacks that I've encountered so far. It's pretty fragile in that you can't lean on it to do work, but since it's small and has access to all four sides, I've had no major problems with that.

SD90

Originally posted by Brian Schmidt
Picked up a bunch of new toys in Deshler this weekend at the swap meet. Walked out with ten MDC car kits for $25 and four Atlas turnouts for $10. Here's a shot of the new cars.

That is a sweet deal for those cars!