More Hot Air for Vic

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
Hi Vic......I have had an old hot air engine for the past 40 years. and it still works like a dream, no torque so it is really useless. In the new yyear when our club reopens I will post a picture of a real live one and an explanation on how they work

Attachments

• hot air engine.jpg
    hot air engine.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 97

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
More hot air

Put some heat in the big black hole,the hot air is cooled in the finned cylinder and displaced thru the small cylinder and motion is obtained

Attachments

• hot air eng 1.jpg
    hot air eng 1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 93

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hey Jimmy, Never let it be said that we are not "full of hot air":D :D :D

Thanks for posting some pics of your engine. I had been looking at some live steam stationary engines by Empire on eBay. I didn't know that they made a hot air engine too.

From what little research I have done since kindling my interest in such things again Empire and Jensen were the premier makers of such toys in the US. Jesnen is still in business and turns out some quite impressive machines.

Thanks again!!!

Nice model engine!

A web search for 'Stirling Engines' will turn up a lot of interesting stuff, the early history of piston powered engines where for a long time inventors tried to use the principle of temperature change to contract and expand gasses trapped in a cylinder to work a piston. It was apparently James Watt who first came up with the idea of using the steam pressure itself, rather than the cyclic heating and cooling of the cylinder, that made such a giant leap into the steam-power age.