more heritage locos coming

matt fisher

hi guys

yesterday i was on trainorders and found out that up sp heritage unit is not going to be in the full daylight paint scheme heres how it's gonna go part black widow , pumpkin grey and onthe rear redand the one truck will be blue and another will be gold and the fuel tank will be silver now theres only two other railroads that have done something like this
canadian pacific and mkt sd40-2 , thats just rumor i heard so dont quote me ,
up is planning on three more heritage units paint scheme here they are canadian pacific norfolk southern and one more in a union pacific paint scheme
does any know if candian pacific was bought by norfolk southern ? also the sp 1996 is on its way to roseville ,ca and will arrive on wed, the 16th

matt fisher

doctorwayne

I don't always keep up-to-date on what's going on with the present-day prototype railroads, but I've not heard of Canadian Pacific being bought by anyone. Are you sure that the road referred to is the Canadian Pacific (CPR), as opposed to the CP (Central Pacific), which was the forerunner to Southern Pacific? I also seem to recall CPR doing a couple of their own "heritage units" in the grey and maroon scheme a few years back.

Wayne

Amtrk14

Don't believe what you read on trainorders. The fact is that NOBODY...except Union Pacific Officals...knows what this engine is going to look like.

Sean

Russ Bellinis

Thoroughbreed said:
More than likely it will be a Black Widow scheme to co-incide with the silver of the unit.

I may be mistaken, but I don't think any of the other heritage schemes have been copies of original paint schemes, so I doubt if the S.P. will be any specific paint scheme that S.P. ever used before. The reason the U.P. is doing the heritage fleet is only because they lost in court to Athearn when the court found that U.P. had never used any of the fallen flag names after taking over the other railroads. The only way they could hope to keep a copywrite on the fallen flag railroad names is to use them currently.

MilesWestern

Russ Bellinis said:
The reason the U.P. is doing the heritage fleet is only because they lost in court to Athearn when the court found that U.P. had never used any of the fallen flag names after taking over the other railroads.

Wow...A giant like UP losing to a model company,If I have legal trouble I'm calling ATHEARN'S Law firm!!! :D

LoudMusic

Russ Bellinis said:
I may be mistaken, but I don't think any of the other heritage schemes have been copies of original paint schemes, so I doubt if the S.P. will be any specific paint scheme that S.P. ever used before. The reason the U.P. is doing the heritage fleet is only because they lost in court to Athearn when the court found that U.P. had never used any of the fallen flag names after taking over the other railroads. The only way they could hope to keep a copywrite on the fallen flag railroad names is to use them currently.

So does that mean we'll be seeing 'heritage' units from the periodically for ... ever?

Russ Bellinis

Only if doing it successfully gives U.P. the rights to all of the fallen flag logos from the railroads that they have bought. U.P. has always had the corporate attitude that there is only one railroad in the world and that U.P. is the only railroad that knows how to run the railroad. They don't care one bit about any of the railroads they bought. It is all about money, anyway they can get it, including the few cents they make on each model railroad item that is sold with a logo they own. If the Heritage fleet doesn't give them the exclusive rights to S.P., W.P., C.P., D&RGW, etc., they won't repeat it.

MilesWestern

would the fallen flags of the fallen flags count as a non-registered "Public Domain Name"? (E.G. Northwestern Pacific, and Texas& New Orleans were all railroads that SP either formed with that wacky texas rr law, or were subsidiaries that SP absorbed) Would those count?

Russ Bellinis

Not unless the U.P. revives them for the heritage fleet. They lost the battle to get royaltys for the fallen flags they bought and own because they hadn't used the names or logos previosly.

McFortner

I would think it didn't matter, once in public domain you can't go and re-copyright them. So once the time passed without being used, too bad UP, you abandoned the rights.

UP is just trying to get every $$$ they can because they have a monsterous administrative overhead that produces nothing.

Sorry, my dad worked at Overnite Transportation when UP took over and retired when they still owned it. They went in with no thought that the train business is different from the trucking business. The egos at UP HQ are bigger than their engines. Just my opinion, YMMV.

Michael

ross31r

matt fisher said:
hi guys
up is planning on three more heritage units paint scheme here they are canadian pacific norfolk southern
does any know if candian pacific was bought by norfolk southern ?
matt fisher

Err, thats not right!

CP is bigger (by a long way!) than NS and if UP did CP and NS heritage schemes both NS and CP could sue the ass off UP for illegal use of trade/brand name (whatever it is that railroads consider their name) because they are totally independant Class 1 roads, UP has no rights whatsoever to use either NS or CP logo, name or any livery elements - in other words its less likely to happen than the moon turning pink.

jetrock

Central Pacific (the original CP) was one of the names UP claimed as within their copyright, even though there haven't been cars or locomotives labeled "Central Pacific," other than museum pieces, since the 1890s. And yes, supposedly all the companies absorbed by the "heritage lines" railroads are claimed by UP--including Sacramento Northern, Tidewater Southern, Northwestern Pacific, etcetera. Although with the results of the court case in, they may not be able to keep them. I do know that there is an effort underway to reopen the NWP, it would be really annoying if UP tried to wring more money out of non-railroad business by charging some outrageous licensing fee...assuming of course that they don't sell a chunk at the north end of the mainline to be turned into a shopping mall, thus making a northern terminus far more difficult.

brakie

Guys,There is a lot of UP cars out there lettered for C&NW,SP,MP,Cotton Belt,UPFE,PFE and CHTT WITHOUT the UP sheild..BY all rights these ARE UP freight cars, shield or no shield.

jetrock

I know, and WP as well--I tend to photograph them when I can!--but I doubt there are any Central Pacific boxcars still toddling around the rails...ah well, it's kind of a moot point--talking about UP logo issues is such a sore subject it is barely worth touching lest it provoke much screaming.