More help please

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by raybanduchi, Dec 7, 2008.

1. raybanduchi

raybanduchi New Member

Okay Guys is me again!
    I bought new fasTrack, and new transformer, just in case. All's hooked up ready for the big test.

The engine headlight comes on there's a slight surge as if to move forward and I hear the transfomer humming and no other action, even on the whistle or the bell (may not have one) or the reverve button.

The engine is a Lionel 2-8-4 looks kinda like a old Mikado. engine number 736. I tried to turn the power wheels manually and they seem tough to turn not even close to free wheeling. I assume WD-40 or other lub is not a good idea. So now I need one, an idea that is.:confused:

2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

A lit headlight eliminates a lot of possible problems.
    Couple of possible causes.
    - gummed up with old, solid grease.
    - reverse unit stuck in neutral or just stuck. There should be a metal lever sticking out the top of the boiler, just around the stack. Push it the other way to where it is. Turn power on and off a few times. If that doesn't work, push it back. Newer locos have a little slide switch in the cab. Can you hear the reversing unit pick up and drop when you cycle the power, in either position? If not, the E-unit may need attention. I had one where the rivet holding the lever came loose.
    If the tender has pickup shoes and wires going from the trucks into the floor it has a whistle. As a test, reverse the wires between the track and transformer. (AFAIK, all 736 had a whistle, but things can get changed.)
    I think there's a thread on cleaning out old grease; I've never had to do it.
    How old is the loco, roughly?
  3. raybanduchi

raybanduchi New Member

Okay thanx, the loco is about 50+ years old.
  4. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

It probably needs a really good cleaning.
    Contact cleaner and fishing real oil and grease
  5. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Fishing reel oil? Someone I really don't like used to recommend that. I use Labelle 106 and 107 (I forget which one is the grease and which is the oil). Good stuff.
  6. raybanduchi

raybanduchi New Member

I took the cover off the engine, found three screws holding it to the mainframe, but I was afraid to go further. I noticed the wires looks really old (Duh!), but I could not find how to access the wheels or get to where the grease is supposed to be. I could take the electric motor loose (but didn't). I noticed one of the connecting rods between the drive wheels was curved slightly, but I didn't try to straighten it. What would I expect to pay for a wheel cleaning and wire replacement on the ole girl? Or is it something I should try and do?
  7. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I was hoping one of my books would have some info on the 736, but I can't find specific disassembly instructions for it. Disassembling a Lionel locomotive isn't difficult when you've done it once, but that first time is a real bear. I remember trying to take apart my Dad's 2037 and not getting anywhere. It's not rocket science, but it's not always obvious how everything is held together. And no two varieties are exactly alike.

I would suggest visiting O Gauge Railroading's forum and asking there. It's at . The majority of people there are hirail and scale oriented, but there are a number of people there who are very knowledgeable about Lionel postwar, and I'll bet anything there are at least one or two people there who've taken apart a 736 and could offer advice.

In regards to professional repair, I would expect if all it needs is a clean and lube, you're probably looking at $25-$50. My local shop charges $25 an hour. I would ask a few more questions before making that decision. A 736 is valuable enough that it's worth taking to a pro if it starts to look like you're about to get in over your head. Also keep in mind that this is the busiest time of year for train repairs, so if you were to take it to a shop today, it could easily be a month before it would be fixed.

I'm sorry I couldn't tell you more, but hopefully I've pointed you in the right direction.
  8. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Can you turn the wheels by hand? I think old Lionel didn't use worm gears so they should turn with a bit of a push -- don't use anything more than a thumb. I might worry about the bent rod, especially if the opposite one is straight.
  9. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I found this:\loc736p1.pdf

No disassembly instructions, but it does confirm the 736 used a worm gear. So I wouldn't expect it to turn much by hand. Lionel didn't usually use worm gears in that era but I thought there were a couple of instances where they did. The 671/681/2020 turbines are the other instance.

The bent rod could cause binding, so that's a good point.
  10. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Apologies for the suggestion.