More Doggies from Aussi

triman

For an up-to-the-minute look at Melbourne try
http://webcam.omni.net.au/
This is a series of webcams that give various views over Melbourne, the port, inner suburbs etc.
A webcam on the Rialto, where Woodie's pic probably was taken, is at
http://www.bigbenpublishing.com.au/victoria/virtual/vr/rialto.html
For a site with photographs of Victorian stuff go to
http://www.railpage.org.au/vr/ and click on the photgraphs link and have a wander round.

It makes me very nostalgic to see these photos. As I mentioned before my library, and for that matter all my models are back east in Melbourne.
Might have to fly home and get them!

interurban

217 at Malvern dept, Melbourne. And I work out of Malvern dept Toronto Canada, small world:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 1950s &60s 50131.jpg
    1950s &60s 50131.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 56

interurban

And digging out a lowering section.
All these date from the 50s and 60s

Attachments

• 1950s &60s 60132.jpg
    1950s &60s 60132.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 85

Woodie

Ahhh... So that's why Elstrnewick Station is newer than all the others on the Frankston Line. I thought they had just rebuilt the station as part of a precinct redevelopment in the 60's. Didn't know the track used to be at road level. :cool:

Bob Collins

Oh goodir, I'll be in Melbourne in a little over a month and will actually be staying in the St. Kilda area. Will plan to check out those train/eating possibilities. I've heard of the tram restaurant, but not the other one :D :D

I have my tickets to ride the XPT from Melbourne to Sydney, an 11 hour daytime adventure. Really looking forward to it.

Bob

Bob Collins

What will I find to ride on when I'm in Melbourne next month? Are there any reguarly scheduled "streetcars" in operation?

Bob

triman

Bob, unfortunately I'm in west oz but have a look at

http://www.victrip.com.au/

This is the public transport website with timetables and route maps for train, tram (streetcars) and bus services.
There's about 40 or 50 odd tram routes covering lots of the city.
A 3-zone all day tikcet will cost $11, about $6US and gives you unlimited all day riding on the tram train and bus network.
Good value for anyone who wants to spend a day under the wires. The down side is you can't buy these tickets on a tram, you've got to go to a metcard outlet, but they are all over the place and hard to miss.
I doubt if you'll be able to see much of the entire public transport network in a day, but careful planning will show a variety of suburbs.
But, most of all, enjoy!!!

Bob Collins

Thanks Triman. I will look it over carefully. It all appears to be quite an adventure. Wish I had time while in Oz to do the Indian Pacific or one of the other famous trains, but will have to settle for the XPT this time around.

Bob

triman

Some time soon, exactly when I'm not sure, the Alice Springs to Darwin rail will open and it will finally be possible to visit all the mainland capitals by rail.
The operators of the Indian Pacific, Sydney to Perth, who also do the Overland, Melbourne to Adelaide, will be operating the Darwin train.
I'm not sure if it has been named yet, or whether it is just an extension of the Ghan, which runs from Adelaide to Alice Springs.
In any case with a truck load of money and some study of the timetables you can do Brisbane-Sydney-Canberra(I'm not sure why but some people do go there!!)-Melbourne-Adelaide-Darwin-fly back to Adelaide then rail to Perth.
It's a mongrel of a life but someone has to do it!!

Woodie

Look what I found!! Hunting through some old junk pics of Garahbara MKI.

My partially complete Melbourne Dogbox set. (Windows, pantos and underframe detailing to go). :)

Attachments

• cnxt0057.jpg
    cnxt0057.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 63

Woodie

Found this one too, guys. The interior of the red "Taits", as picced above. :)

I used to ride these to work every day, til they were withdrawn in the mid 80's.

Tait_inside.jpg