More British Layout Pics

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Dennis:

Thanks so much for posting those pics and I appreciate the trouble you've taken to do so. The autumn foliage colour certainly gives me an idea of what I should model.

I couldn't get to the first website but the second is really good -- informative with lots of great pics. I expect that the WSR crosses both former GWR and SR territory ... Your club's website is also great -- I was just looking at some of the pics and members' layouts. Very impressive!

If possible, I'm interested in learning more about the steam loco and railway in the last photo (that you just posted). I often get frustrated because, in the UK, you have so many heritage railways and scores (if not more!) restored steam locos that are in service. We have some good heritage railways here in North America, but they are generally much smaller and few & far between. There are only a handful of steam locos that operate in Canada now. However, my wife is English and we usually visit England once a year which gives me a chance to ride on the Mid-Hants Railway! :)

Take care and thanks again,
Rob

ratjag

Jan 13, 2006
uk
Hello again Robert.
Jus to really "wind you up" as we say over here, same loco, same time, same day,----from our bedroom window!!!:p :D

Dennis

Attachments

• B1 on loop at retford.jpg
    B1 on loop at retford.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 71

ratjag

Jan 13, 2006
uk
Luckily it is a national rail line running from London Kings Cross, northwards (the East Coast main line). If it was a heritage line i'd never get out of bed!!!! Have you ever had the opportunity to ride the North Yorks Moors railway? That's great too.
Dennis

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
ratjag said:
Luckily it is a national rail line running from London Kings Cross, northwards (the East Coast main line). If it was a heritage line i'd never get out of bed!!!! Have you ever had the opportunity to ride the North Yorks Moors railway? That's great too.
Dennis

Dennis:

It would still be neat having a national rail line nearby, especially if the occasional steam train used it!

I haven't been on the North Yorks Moors Railway but I hope to get up to that region some day. I'd also like to visit the National Railway Museum in York. I have, however, been to the East Lancs Railway at Bury (2 years ago) and to Llangollen (10 years ago).

Cheers,
Rob

Mike14xx

Dec 29, 2006
Pittsburgh,PA
I can not believe you have the Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway blue livaried class 2p. (4-4-0) Everytime I try and get one on ebay the price shoots up to about well lets just say the last one was out of my price range by about 350 dollars. I love the blue livery. I am currently trying to get one of the old blue Caledonian singles. I am sorry to say I do not have a permanent layout yet. It goes up wherever possible and whenever possible, as long as the kittens can't get in and try to play kill the choo choo. I have been to the NRM, I love the green Stirling Single they have there, that and MALLARD. Does anybody know what ever happened to the first A4 class pacific SILVER LINK? I have a model but I can never find out what happened to him.

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mike14xx said:
I can not believe you have the Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway blue livaried class 2p. (4-4-0) Everytime I try and get one on ebay the price shoots up to about well lets just say the last one was out of my price range by about 350 dollars. I love the blue livery. I am currently trying to get one of the old blue Caledonian singles. I am sorry to say I do not have a permanent layout yet. It goes up wherever possible and whenever possible, as long as the kittens can't get in and try to play kill the choo choo. I have been to the NRM, I love the green Stirling Single they have there, that and MALLARD. Does anybody know what ever happened to the first A4 class pacific SILVER LINK? I have a model but I can never find out what happened to him.

Thanks for your note and comments. I'm really surprised that the Prussian blue 2P Hornby locos are going for $350 or so on eBay! I bought mine at a LHS not quite 2 years ago for $130 Cdn. (about $110 US). It runs well but I've had to replace the tires. They've come loose and detached as they reacted to the Wahl oil I was using to lubricate locos and clean the track. Apparently, Wahl oil causes the rubber tires to expand & come loose (the loco's tender-driven, which has powered wheels with rubber-tires).

All that aside, the loco performs well and I usually haul a combination of SR green 4-wheel coaches as well as some 4-wheelers in Prussian Blue.

Sorry I can't help with your Silver Link question though!

Cheers, Rob

ratjag

Jan 13, 2006
uk
:wave: Hi Mike14XX, I have emailed my local group in retford notts uk in the hope of getting your question answered. we are on the east coast mainline so i would expect someone to know. keep your fingers crossed! ( if you don't hear from a Gauger before then!!!!)
:D

ratjag

Jan 13, 2006
uk
Mike14XX, a couple of pics for you.
hope you like.
dennis

Attachments

• ret1016.jpg
    ret1016.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 32
  • ret0655.jpg
    ret0655.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 32

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Mike: a Caley single set w/coaches is on Hornby's list for 2007. We can supply a couple of dealer's names up here if you need them.
Warning: talked to one dealer this week. Hornby is releasing the Lord of the Isles set (a GWR single) and he had 6 ordered; has customers for 5 of them; was told he's only getting 3.
I think Silver Link was scrapped. It's not one of the 6 on the preserved list.

Mike14xx

Dec 29, 2006
Pittsburgh,PA
Thanks. I cannot believe it was scrapped. Also the hornby Lord Of the Isles is the same as their new thomas & friends Emily. Like I said I wish I had a permanent layout but the kttens like to play tennis with the trains.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Mike: British Railways was extremely anti-steam in the 60s. It shows in their haste to order diesel locos before any samples had even been built. They also insisted that steamers sold for scrap should have some fatal modification made -- usually making a big cut in the drivers with a welding torch.
I was really disappointed to see Hornby's Emily. I was hoping that they would finally be making a Stirling single. I bet all the little Thomas fans are confused.