Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by EricGoedkoop, Oct 13, 2005.

1. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Hello all,

Thought you might enjoy a few pictures of my current project, a Morane-Borel scratchbuilt in 1/48th scale:

Close-up of the undercarraige:

I figure the hard parts are pretty well done. Should be all downhill from here!
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Geez man I STILL don't see how you do that small stuff!

Fantastic work by the usual!

I still think I need a spell-checker!
  3. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Yes EricGoedkoop...excellent work. As many times as I have attempted to scratchbuild something, I should be fairly adept at it, but I am not. Glad to see someone is doing it and doing it excellently.

Keep us posted.
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

Nice! Like to know more about how you did the threading of the wire bracing in the rear and also how you constructed the woodwork. This is going to make a very nice model when finished. You still amaze me with how deft your work is at this scale.

5. Darwin

Darwin Member

Hmmm.....let me guess. Did you make the framework using 1 mm square basswood? (Again, my stick-and-tissue origins shine through.) Very neat construction.
  6. cygielski

cygielski Member

Now that's genuinely beautiful...
  7. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

This is actually my fourth attempt at the little beast, and the first one to progress beyond bare bones. The fuselage framework is built out of triple-thick brown cardstock cut into 1mm strips. One of the big problems I had was building two sides exactly the same - any little difference really shows at this size - and I finally solved that by cutting the shape of the fuse side out of a piece of 1/32" balsa and building the sides inside that. All the fuselage bracing wires are straightened strands stripped out of speaker wire, colored black with a marker and held in place with white glue. The two sides were joined by the top and bottom crosspieces inside another balsa form to keep things true. I did this one bay at a time, gluing in the crosspieces and rigging that bay before moving on to the next. Each bay took about an hour to do.

I was pretty steamed when I dropped the dang thing a few days ago and half those wires popped out!
  8. spirtos

spirtos Member!!!...pretty neat...

...more photos please...
  9. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Tailfeathers built and attached:

10. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Here's the 50hp Gnome engine:

The crankshaft, crankcase and cylinders are all rolled from strips of paper. Cooling fins are simulated by a printed pattern of fine horizontal lines. The pushrods are very thin strips of cardstock.

It's a close fit inside the cheeks of the cowl, but it makes it:

The engine spins freely on a straight pin, which I chucked in my Dremel tool to square up the head a bit with a file.
  11. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Thank you for sharing. Your craftsmanship inspers me. I'm upping my standards.

12. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Hi, Eric! :smile:

That is some excellent work! Very impressive detail, neat and cleanly done.

That must have hurt when you dropped it...YIKES! Hope your heart rate is back to normal by now... ;-)

The saw horse is a great touch.

Really looking forward to more updates when you can....

13. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Thanks for the kind words.

It wasn't my happiest moment, but aside from the rigging nothing got damaged. Could've been worse.

I built a couple of 'em one night and they come in surprisingly handy. I use them all the time.
  14. Darwin

Darwin Member

Eric, I took a close look at the wheel axle-skid junction. Did you use elastic thread to act as a functioning bungee cord spring for the wheels? The more I look at these photos, the more subtle this build becomes. Terrific work.
  15. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Oh, heck no. That's just some grey card sliced real thin and wrapped around a few times to look like the bungees. The axle is glued in solid - I have enough trouble keeping everything where it's supposed to be without looking for more!
  16. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Speaking of wheels, though . . . . .

I spent the weekend figuring out how to do real spoked wheels:

The hub, rim and tire are all paper. Spokes are monofilament. This is my first - and so far only - successful wheel. I'm keeping this one for posterity, but am definitely going to make a nice pair for the Morane-Borel.
  17. Texman

Texman Guest

And you made this incredible wheel how?

18. Gil

Gil Active Member

Nice Piece

Ok Eric, I can understand keeping it for posterity but what about now? Is it possible to repeat another with enough documentation so it can be copied?

P.S. Beautiful spoked tire..., I've spent a goodly amount of time on this subject and decided that you need a good jig to keep everything in alignment while the spokes are being threaded.
  19. cygielski

cygielski Member

I for one would like to find out more about your method for making that wheel. The more I look at it, the more amazed I am.
  20. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Tim P