MoPac Short Bay Window Caboose project

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Eddie Landreth, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Below is a pic of a project I finished up tonight, which is a kitbash of a Missouri Pacific Short Bay Window Caboose. I used the Walthers Bay Window Caboose kit as a starting point. I chopped out a section of the roof and rejoined the ends, and cut out the walls and made new walls from styrene. I made the handrails from Athearn stantions and handrail wire. The toolboxes on the far platform were made from styrene. I painted it Signal Red because I think the color seems to be a better match, and the decals are by Microscale.

For comparison purposes, below is a pic of the Walthers kit which when assembled out of the box looks like this:

Here's what the prototype photo looks like:

2. pttom

pttom Member

Looks great Eddie.:thumb:
  3. chapmon

chapmon Member

Nice job as usual Eddie. I like how you really did it. Now where's that how-to article so we can follow along.

Mike:D :D
  4. Arlaghan

Arlaghan Member

Beautiful kitbash, Eddie! :)
  5. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

That is some SUPER modeling Eddie!
    :cool: :thumb: :thumb: :cool:
  6. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

I love it. Isn't that what they call a trasfer caboose? DASH
  7. George D

George D Member

Nice work. :thumb:
  8. Thanks, Guys.

Dash - The one I did is referred to as a "Short Bay Window Caboose", sometimes called a Shorty, Party Barge, etc. These were actually road cabooses that replaced MoPacs ageing fleet of cabooses in the late 1970's and were used over the road.

The transfer cabooses looked quite different as can be seen in the picture shown below:

Mike - I've got 2 more of these to make and plan to take pics of the process this time since I worked the bugs out during making the first one. Hopefully, the 2nd and 3rd ones will look better, since I've got a few things I plan to do a little differently to improve on it.
  10. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

A fun project Eddie. I just love any form of a caboose.
  11. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

That turned out GREAT, Eddie. I've got a Rock Island transfer caboose I'm working on somewhere in my project pile (I used an Athearn caboose, and bought an aftermarket transfer caboose kit, I think the company was Mococo???).