Moonbase Alpha Launch Pad

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
About a year ago I finally got to see all the episodes of Space: 1999 and became an instant fan. This is sci-fi from my childhood and love it. So today I fired up some episodes on Hulu and tackled this model. It's the Moonbase Alpha launch pad by S.C. Killenbeck. It's a fun, easy model that looks really nice when done.

This part is simple, but it comes with an internal strengthener. I cut it out of 2mm chipboard and it worked great. However, the end that meets the pad isn't quite the right shape so I had to do some trimming. I recommend cutting the notch back farther. It won't hurt the stability.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 03.JPG
    03.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 9

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
This part is also simple. It comes with a ring to glue in the center to strengthen the center. I put glue on the edges and slid it inside before sealing it up. The "half-circle" part got all the tabs cut off and edge glued.

Attachments

• 04.JPG
    04.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 89
  • 05.JPG
    05.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 06.JPG
    06.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 07.JPG
    07.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 08.JPG
    08.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 09.JPG
    09.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 85

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
This is the docking section. The little sleeve that mounts inside was tricky. Don't glue it to the angled roof or it won't slide right. I super glued one end to the opening for strength. When I glued it to the pad I glued the edges and the bottom of the sleeve to secure it. Don't glue the docking arm because it's supposed to slide in and out.

Attachments

• 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 17.JPG
    17.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 19.JPG
    19.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 86

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
I modified the pad for stability. I glued the top, bottom and trim piece to 1mm chipboard. I didn't really need the paper ring strengthener after that, but I used it anyway. I added a tab to the pad side strips and glued them to the top. I skipped the tabs to attach the bottom since it was on the chipboard. I just set it on and superglued around the seam. That pad is sturdy!

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 23.JPG
    23.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 25.JPG
    25.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 26.JPG
    26.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 27.JPG
    27.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 28.JPG
    28.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 88
  • 29.JPG
    29.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 90

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
Final assembly and done. The model comes with some little "boxey" Eagles, so I glued one together and that's it. The Eagle didn't crash when it landed, and my desk didn't blow out of orbit, so I'd say we're good.

Attachments

• 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 10
  • 32.JPG
    32.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 17

Bhelliom

"Thud!" That's my jaw hitting the floor. Someone actually built one of my models! Thanks, bgt01! I see there are a couple of changes I need to make. Not sure why part "7a" didn't fit right, it looks OK on the layout. I also see that I need to reduce the number of parts "6". The ones covered by the docking section obviously aren't needed. It could also use some better texturing, but that's one of my weak points.

Sorry about the "boxiness" of the Eagle, but my Micromachine skills are just about nil. That is, I could design a better shape, but I'd never be able to build it right myself.

Anyway, its great to see one of my own models built by someone else. The last time I saw one of mine online somewhere was my "Bender', and it wasn't even labeled, let alone credited.

Thanks again, now I need to dig up the complete Alpha model I was working (thanks, Gearz!) on and finish it. MUCH smaller scale than the Pad model, so any Eagles on that one will have to be layered 2D.

Scott K.

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
Complete...Alpha...model...YES PLEASE!:mrgreen: I've thought about that but space and time and skill make it a back, back burner idea. You get it done and I'm in. Your pad model was great. I'd had it printed out for awhile and today was the day. Might have to do another one with lights. And the little Eagles work just fine.:thumb:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
@bgt01: You did a GREAT JOB on the build! I would like to see what you do with the lighting and adding more detail.

@Bhelliom: You have every right to be proud. You did a GREAT JOB on the design. I think that a scaled up version (with more detail) would make for a really good diorama.

It would really be cool if you could make the red cross in the center raise and lower (like it the series).