Monogram? Soverengn of the Seas

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
a_sos_bow.jpg a_sos_overall.jpg a_sos_side.jpg a_sos_stern.jpg this is an old project only partly done. before starting the model I used a razor saw to waterline the hull. I did not like the gratings on the deck, and removed them, probably a mistake , as I have yet to make replacements .

I had stored the model in a glass bookcase, the wife, while cleaning, moved it to an open bookshelf, where it was destroied by the cat.

I have been able to get the sails back on correctly, but have had a real problem with the little flag extensions on the tops of the masts. will probably need to use micro drills and little splices of fine wire. I have a bunch of parts, cannons ect. yet to install. the ratlines are horrible , so I left them out, and have yet not figured out how to recreate them.

I have several other old small scale sailing ship models that I have not started other than waterlining them

mysteroid

Jul 1, 2008
Hong Kong
Very nicely done! Love the paintwork on the hull details. I actually think it looks really good as it is. Sort of a hybrid admiralty style model.

Years ago I had a Cutty Sark (I forget who made it, Revell?) but never finished it. I have this idea that I want to build a sailing vessel, but whenever I start to think about the rigging, my motivation withers and dies.

Steve

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
Thanks, most of my work is with model trains now, but when I was a kid I dd a lot of sailing ship models, and progressed from standing rigging to the full sailing rigging. Revently I have scratchbuilt a couple modles for RC, board by board plank on frame. the Soveren kit was a lot of fun painting the tiny details, I was really suprised at the quality of the details, on a model that was prety cheap. the cat tastrophy took the wind out of the project, I think it has beeen 15 years or more since I have done anything but reglue loose sails to it.

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
was your Cutty the big one? I built the big CSS Alabama, and a local barber had a Big Constitution. A customer who moved away gave him. it would get damaged from time to time, I would bring toolas and materials, and fix it while I was waiting for my haircut; got quite a few free haircuts, and was able to pocket the money my folks had given me for the haircut.

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
I gets better, several ladies went into the shop, and asked the Barber who built the ship in the window. He said" the guy who built it moved away, here is the phone # of the guy who fixes it. I got hired by two ladies to finnish wooden ship models their husbands had started, but not finished. This was during my freshman and sophomore year in high-school. I was able to negotiate some serious $$$ for stuff I'd have done for free. Both models the husband had built the hull, and done an awesome job, but gotten scared by the rigging, one was a model of a clipper ship, the other was a revolutionary war era brig. I have some low quality snap shots somewhere, but that was a very long time ago, if I can locate the album, I'll scan the photos and share them That was 48 years ago; rigging is my friend!!
]

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
I get the shakes just thinking about rigging... I worked for three days just to rig my sons build of the 1903 Wright Flyer. I could only work 15 min at a time before I went bonkers.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I built the big "Cutty Sark", did all the rigging, and around 3 months later, the cat jumped up on the mantle, tried to tip toe over it, and ended up on the floor snared in this battle. The "Cutty Sark" lost the battle. Only the hull survived, she was a wreck. The cat was fine. Rigging is a commitment for sure. :)