Monday Moving People?

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Good morning folks

We had a great weekend. My son made weight and his football team, the Drexel hill Raiders Pee Wee Varsity squad defeated the Collingdale Bulldogs 13 to 7. Collingdale ran the opening kickoff in for a touchdown but after ward could not do anything against the Raiders defense. DHR got two fourth quarter touchdowns to win.

I continued adding trees and foliage around the cement distributor. I also added some old beat-up utility poles along the abandoned road.

Do you have or plan to have passenger operations on your layout?

On my layout I currently have one passenger station and plans to add at lest one more. In the past six months I got my first passenger locomotives, a set of P2K PRR PA1 and PB1. I have some Bachmann Spectrum PRR passenger cars and I am waiting on some B&O cars to be released. I also have a PRR doodlebug and a B&O RDC. I have a CNJ RDC on the way.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I was not initially interested in passenger operations, but then I read about the "resorts" in Algonquin Park, and the traffic they generated over the old OA&PS. I was hooked. I plan to have a partial model of the Highland Inn at Cache Lake (in Algonquin Park) and a consist appropriate to the 1920s/30s to serve it. CNR 10-wheeler 1337 will pull it.

Andrew

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I have a Bachman Doodlebug too that I use for "fan trips" while a PC decorated RDC runs the commuters. Once in a while I'll create a train for Brown Pennsy coaches behind a black PC set of F units but only to add some variety.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Not for now. I have several sets of 80' cars that cannot make it through the curve in one canyon I made years ago. So if I have passenger service, it will be limited to excursion trains using the few 60' cars I have. Someday I may open up the cut, but still, running a consist of 80' cars on a rail that is only about 1/5 of a scale mile long and half that wide, just doesn't seem like fun. For now, my passenger cars are going to be for display only.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
ezdays said:
Not for now. I have several sets of 80' cars that cannot make it through the curve in one canyon I made years ago. So if I have passenger service, it will be limited to excursion trains using the few 60' cars I have. Someday I may open up the cut, but still, running a consist of 80' cars on a rail that is only about 1/5 of a scale mile long and half that wide, just doesn't seem like fun. For now, my passenger cars are going to be for display only.

This is basically the way I see it. Passenger cars, specifically eighty footers, are so limited in their operations that they are rather difficult to enjoy running. What's the minimum radius for an 80' car? Something like 24"? I'd say the vast majority of modelers can't handle that. When you bring it down to 60' cars the running limitations are nearly removed, but they still need large radius curves in order to look good. And passenger service needs a good long main line to really be enjoyable.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
On the narrow gauge line there will be a shuttle service for my LPB mine workers between Marian City and the two mines. (Probably with a D&RGW C-16 and/or a T-12 pulling one or two passenger cars.) Two trains up and down daily.

Plus there is some tourist traffic, interchanging between standard and narrow gauge at Ronville. For SG operation I will use a doodlebug, and NG will transport the passengers on a Galloping Goose to the holiday resort of Gabor Valley. In the morning the Goose carries the tourists down from Gabor Valley, connecting with the doodlebug in Ronville at noon. In the afternoon she's returning to Gabor Valley. That about sums it up.

Oh well, there is also a postal/baggage combine tacked on the daily peddler freight over the whole line.

Ron

PS: Only problem is that I still have to build the whole narrow gauge line... :D :D :D

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Besides running station to station to pick up and drop off passengers, there is the whole maintenance side of passenger ops - makeing and breaking trains, turning uni-directional cars, servicing, stocking, etc. These activities can take as much time and be just as interesting as running a freight yard.

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
LoudMusic said:
This is basically the way I see it. Passenger cars, specifically eighty footers, are so limited in their operations that they are rather difficult to enjoy running. What's the minimum radius for an 80' car? Something like 24"? I'd say the vast majority of modelers can't handle that. When you bring it down to 60' cars the running limitations are nearly removed, but they still need large radius curves in order to look good. And passenger service needs a good long main line to really be enjoyable.
I'm doing N scale. I have an outer curve (15" radius) that can handle an 80' car, but the inner curve is more like 9 1/2" and that's a problem. And yeah, I set up an Amtrak consist for a contest photo shot and it really overwhelmed the layout, so I totally agree with what you're saying for smaller layouts.