Moldy Crow WIP

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Okay, the landing gear is unfolded!

Next up: Talay's Landing Zone.
  2. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Excellent, do you need me to do a build on the landing gear, including the pivots and telescopes?
  3. Millenniumfalsehood

No, that's okay. I was going to do it myself anyway as part of the pictorial instructions. :thumb:

That makes twice we posted at nearly the same time. Scary! sign1
  4. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

LOL, yeah....:confused::mrgreen: Do you mind if I give it a go? I'll have to have it printed, by the printer, but I'd like to give it a go.
  5. Gearz

Gearz Member

Maaan.. your going to be 'FLAP HAPPY' after this one MF... Will you be able to enter it in any modelling competitions? By the looks of the detail, I'd say its shaping up to be a " Naaaah... that not made out of paperrr...."

This is going to be a nice model !!!! All your diorama needs is some sound effects... ? slip a MP3 player in the building + some turbines spooling up and down or something. I'll go look....

6. Millenniumfalsehood

If you want to give it a go CJTK, I'll send it your way. I can also send you the beta models of the Crow and Anoat if you want. :thumb:

Yeah Gearz, I actually thought about taking the Dark Forces main title and putting it into a cheapy MP3 player, but I have no idea how to rig one to play whenever a button is pressed, and the recording circuits I've seen that I can rewire with a long wire leading to the button have, like, a twenty-second recording limit. I'm afraid the only competitions I go to are IPMS and Wonderfest, but I have entered a paper model in Wonderfest before, and I may be able to do it again next time. But it sure would be nice for people to go up to it and think that it's a resin kit. I'll probably make the cockpit before I even think about entering it into a competition. Probably some formers for the interior as well, because the shape doesn't actually hold up well enough in my estimation to leave it alone.
  7. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

That would be great. I'm going to send some files to the printer today and as soon as I can get up there I'll pick everything up. I've already got a stack of things to get.

Thanks, I'll try to do it justice. In the mean time I'll work on Ron's TOS Bridge some more and Oyl's bridge and... LOL:mrgreen::thumb:

8. Millenniumfalsehood

Great! I'll send the models your way immediately. In the mean-time I've finished Fuel Station Ergo:

I'll unfold it later. Right now I'm going to do Talay and Imperial City. Then all that's left will be the cockpit and this model will be ready for release! :mrgreen:
  9. Millenniumfalsehood

Just got Talay done. Up next is Imperial City. That will be a *tall* one!

10. Millenniumfalsehood

Okay, Imperial City is done. Now I can do the cockpit and this will be all finished! :mrgreen:

Beware that this one is around 32 inches square, so it will take up quite a bi of shelf space. But it will be a great place to display an Imperial Shuttle or other equally massive model.
  11. wedge

wedge Member

I don't have words for this (and that is not becuse of my english) next week I'll be gone,but at least when i returned, moldy crow will be there :)
  12. Millenniumfalsehood

I'll see you then, Wedge. I look forward to your build in the future. :thumb:

For now, I'm calling it a night.
  13. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Looking great, you're really knocking this out toot sweet.:thumb:
  14. Gearz

Gearz Member

yep..the theme would be really kewl MF. I can relate to the sound dilemma.. Thanks to my peasant status, i have to MacGyver any circuitry from my electronic "busted, but might have some useful stuff inside it' collection. OR a cheap toy from the $2 shop..

~ Just food for thought for an alternative while your still in the planning stage, and sadly its a poor compromise from 'on demand' sound + i couldn't test this out..

* Use an old /cheap MP3 headphones or ear plug, and replace the small speaker with a larger one, from a busted /cheapo radio / CD player etc etc

* Record/Convert the theme + what ever other sound effects you'd like to .mp3's + several "silent" .mp3's in varying time lengths.

* Dependant of how the MP3player cue's music/playlist..? / 01theme.mp3 / 02silences80secs.mp3 / 03turbinespool.mp3 / 04silence20secs.mp3 / 05gamesound.mp3 / 06silence120secs.mp3 / 01theme.mp3 etc etc..

*set your MP3player to repeat and it'll speak up according to the length's of the 'silent' tracks..

Yep its got flea's... just a quick and dirty solution..

+ Diorama buildings look excellent..! ~ Drooling for some build pix.!!

Wonderfest..! I'd love to see that !
  15. Millenniumfalsehood

That actually sounds like a great idea! I think I'll give it a try with a cheap MP3 player sometime, thought a modification I'd suggest would be to hook up an OP-AMP chip to the speaker to get better sound quality. I think also that I should have two MP3 players: one for the music, and one for the sound effects. On Anoat for example, there's always this sound of grungy water flowing and the occasional activation of sluice gates, besides the music which repeats.

Here's a design feature I'm incorporating into the Anoat City and Imperial City dioramas: some sides can be left off without affecting the structural integrity of the building, so one could see the ship from a certain angle.

I threw together a quick'n'dirty cockpit last night before I decided to call it quits, and I'm going to pick it back up now. It just needs seats, consoles, and some fiddly bits on the walls for detail. Then comes Jan and Kyle. Like I said, they'll be pretty simple in this scale of 1:48 but would add another dimension to the Moldy Crow.
  16. Millenniumfalsehood

I've worked out the cockpit for the most part. I'm going to wait until I texture it before I decide if it needs any bits on the sides of the cockpit.

The way this works is, you glue in the side of the cockpit on the back of the nose before you fold it, then cut out the windows on the opposite side, trim them to fit the interior frames, and finally color in the white area with a sharpie. Then do the same to the other side.
  17. Millenniumfalsehood

Okay, the cockpit is now completely textured. Up next is unfolding in Pepakura.

This design btw is taken directly from Jedi Knight, but you can't see the consoles in any of the videos. You can see the throttle and docking collar release, so I modeled those. The release lever is on the right side of the pilot's seat(the one nearest to the aft bulkhead). The copilot's seat has a duplicate set of controls which can double as the turret rotation and elevation controls and a duplicate throttle assembly. The screen on the copilot/gunner's console shows flight vectors, so I figured it would look good as a tactical display. The consoles themselves are similar in layout.

Pilot's console:

Copilot's console:

The back entrance:

18. archangel1

archangel1 Member

Very impressive work! :thumb: I like the fact you're also providing diorama bases. They'll really set off the model. Now, maybe I should dig out my Dark Forces II game and play it through again!

Mike :wave:
  19. Millenniumfalsehood

Thanks! :mrgreen:

Jedi Knight had the best levels of all the games, IMO. They were just so massive-looking! Nothing has approached the look of them ever since, including Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy. They were just so vast! Nar Shaadaa especially. The weapons were pretty cool, too(like the concussion rifle).

Also, there's a cool cheat that alows you to fly, and it lets you appreciate the magnitude of the levels' sizes.

I really need to dig out my copy of Jedi Knight and play it again, too.
  20. Gearz

Gearz Member

Never got to play all the levels of Jedi Knight, even then I'd have to say ~

Strongly Disagree
    Agree somewhat
    Strongly Agree ........... TICK

MASSIVE !!

Most excellent textures work MF.. It makes you want to jump into that cockpit and fiddle with the dials N stuff...