molds

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Guys I'm trying to make some molds using the woodland scenic latex rubber I've put three layers on letting each one dry over nite (I know that a little overkill but no great hurry) after this layer I put a piece of gauze on and recoated it. Am wondering if then one more coat one top will be enough for a mold which I plan on using rather often? Anyoene else have any experience with this product I would love some of your feedback.
Thanks Pat

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I just finished making a mold for some rock retaining walls and I did essentually the same thing you did. Four coats total with gauze between the second and third layer. I just waited a few hours between coats and that seemed to be enough time.

I found the mold would not lay flat when I pulled it from the master, so I used some sticky glue to hold it down on a flat piece of acrylic. I also found I had to support the edges to keep them from collapsing so I glued some wood pieces that I could remove to break the wall out of the mold.

I was not happy with the depth between the rocks, it came out a bit less detailed than the original. The next time I'm going to try to force the latex between the cracks a bit more than I did this time. Just "painting" the latex on didn't seem to do the job.

Don

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Some years ago, I made a rubber mold of some rock surfaces. I got the liquid rubber from a hobby craft store and can't remember the brand. It is bright red in colour. I used PAM as a mold release, coated the rock with it, then put a coat of the rubber. Next some gauze then another coat of rubber. I didn't wait between coats. I left them overnight to cure, peeled them off and have been using them ever since.