Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by NULLMOON, Mar 26, 2007.

NULLMOON Member

just a small note to anyone whos interested its worth saving those small bags of silica gel that come with varios goods and glue them inside the model, keeps everthing dry and stops mold,warping,un-sticking.
    i glue them in all my larger models and my models share a room with 5 aqariums:)
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

thats a great idea!
  3. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Darn, I just threw out 7 bags of the stuff. Great idea, I'm gonna try it when I get more.
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

The same stuff can be bought at good hobby stores as well.
    It is used for drying out flowers for arrangements.
    You put some in a bowl, stick the flower in with the petals sticking up and bury the flower by gently pouring this stuff on it.
    Let sit for a week and then dig out your dried flower in perfect condition.
    This stuff sucks all the moisture out of the flower.

You can also reuse the stuff by putting it in a 350 degree oven for a little while to get rid of the moisture.

I have no idea what it is called but if you ask, I'm sure they will know what your talking about.

NULLMOON Member

there are a number of chemicals that will absord moisture the cheapest and most common is salt, silica gel just comes in handy to use bags:grin:
  6. 46rob

46rob Member

I live on the gulf coast--were the humidity is nearly always high, and have never had a problem with moisture. I do nothing to my models at all --once they're hung I just let them collect dust.
  7. cygielski

cygielski Member

Yes, except you may not want your models soaked in brine. ;-) Salt has the ugly habit of dissolving partially when it absorbs moisture. Silica gel just puffs up a bit.