Mohawk Pass, railfanning on the rocks....

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by trainworm, May 22, 2004.

1. trainworm

trainworm Member

I have found my new favorite place to railfan[:D][:D] on the SP sunset route in Arizona, at Mohawk pass, there is a small hill on the south side of the tracks. there is a place where i can park my truck and climb up the hill and sit on a little cliff that is right over the tracks. it is a pretty tricky climb up the side of the hill, and more fun to get back down, but it is worth it. i can sit on the rocks up there and read a book while i wait for trains to crest the hill.

here are a bunch of photos from this spot, and links to a bunch of others.

[​IMG] mohawk pass 1.JPG mohawk pass 2.JPG mohawk pass 7.JPG mohawk pass 8.JPG mohawk pass 10.JPG mohawk pass 11.JPG mohawk pass 12.JPG mohawk pass 15.JPG mohawk pass 16.JPG mohawk pass 17.JPG

some container car detail shots: mohawk pass 13.JPG mohawk pass 19.JPG mohawk pass 18.JPG

and a few shots from elsewhere on the sunset route sunset route eastbound consist.JPG sunset route eastbound consist 2.JPG sunset route eastbound consist 3.JPG westbound sunset route.JPG
  2. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

awesome photo's :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  3. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

Great pics, Trainworm! Is that an abandoned road in your first picture, starting on the left above the tracks and ending in the center just above the CSX loco?
  4. trainworm

trainworm Member

that is the old railroad line running through there. it looks like it was ballasted with black volcanic rock.
  5. rcwatkins

rcwatkins Member

I just wonder how all you folks avoid snakebite out in the desert.
  6. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

Those are some GREAT pictures! I know a Union Pacific railfan who would love those. Is this the same trackage that the Rock Island shared with SP? Love to see if there is some old rolling stock with the Rock's logo on it!

Thanks again,
  7. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

If you take it slow and careful, and give snakes room to escape, they won't bother people.