Moggie Minor

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by crimson, Jun 14, 2008.

1. crimson

crimson Member

Hi Everybody,

A friend of mine has a Morris Minor and also, occasionally makes paper cars. Unfortunately, neither of us could find a model of the dear old 'Moggie', so I decided to have a bash at designing my own.

After a month of banging my head aganst Blender, PSP and Pepakura, I came up with this sad effort:

A bit 'square' frankly,considering the minor doesn't have a straight line on it!

I wanted something a bit better. So, after looking at a few other car designs I have come up with this:

And here is the first test build:

So far, not too bad. There are a few tight corners and some of the tabs need reducing, or, getting rid of altogether. If the wheels and bumpers go ok, then I shall crack on with the textures. Hopefully I can copy some of them straight from the first attempt.

criticism/advice welcome

2. logicman

logicman Greybeard

3. makepeace

makepeace New Member

Cool work. Definetly something that has been missing.:thumb::thumb::thumb::driver1:
  4. crimson

crimson Member

Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick feedback.

As far as the bonnet/headlight fairings, I too would have liked them to be a bit more curvy. The inital blender models I built had lots of flowing curves in them, but I couldn't get a reasonable build out of it. So I eventually compromised. It probably looks worse than it is, as the model is blank and covered in the fold lines from pepakura. Especially the headlight fairing. When the model is textured, this should be less noticeable. Also, once the bonnet area is securely assembled, the paper could probably be 'formed' slightly,to a better curve.
  5. crimson

crimson Member

well on the whole it built ok, but both the front and rear bumpers are going to need a redesign. I should be able to make them easier to build and more accurate. here are some pics of what it finally looked like:

a couple of days to sort out the bumpers, then onto the textures.
  6. logicman

logicman Greybeard

Great stuff! :thumb::thumb:

I can see where you're going with this.
    Take your time.
    Think twice - cut once.

7. crimson

crimson Member

I have spent a little time on the bonnet, to give it a gentler curve.

The bumpers are also redesigned

I also reshaped the rear lights slightly

Hopefully, I can get some textures onto this by the weekend.
  8. logicman

logicman Greybeard

Yes! Yes! Yes! I see curves ahead!

Keep up the good work. :thumb:

I'm a fan of the moggie - I learned to drive in a brand new one
    (not mine). :cry:

I'd love to make this model.
    It would mean clearing all my half-built paper models out of the way,
    but heck!
    That's what vacuum cleaners are for. :mrgreen:

9. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Nice design in progress!

It always amazes me to see a design jump from the flat pattern to the 3D build. Once the textures are in place though, the model really comes to life!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Best Regards,
  10. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

I love this car.

The curves are starting to come alive. Good luck with the rest of you design and build.

Cheers JTF
  11. outersketcher

outersketcher Illustrator, Tinker

Good work.... are you designing this from within Pepakura designer? I'm attempting a design from within sketchup right now.

Finally, a civilian car design with lots of 3D curves!

12. crimson

crimson Member

Thanks, for the kind remarks guys.

Outersketcher, I am designing the 3d model in Blender, from which I finally export a 3ds model and a tga image of the UV faces

I then edit the tga image in Paintshop Pro for the textures and save it as a jpg.

I can then pull the 3ds model and the jpg of the textures into pepakura to make the model. The only thing I do in pepakura is apply the textures; unfold the model and add the glue tabs (there's also a lot of messing about in rearranging all the parts to fit on the page how I want it)

I can also pull the jpg of the textures back into blender and apply threm to the 3d model there.

How are you finding sketchup? when I tried it I had terrible problems with faces and edges disappearing (although I only went through the basic tutorials before I tried it, so no doubt Iwas doing it wrong![​IMG])
  13. crimson

crimson Member

Here's a quick pic of the textures so far

14. logicman

logicman Greybeard

WOW! :thumb::thumb::thumb:
  15. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Impressive work recreating such a complex shape! Bravo!
  16. outersketcher

outersketcher Illustrator, Tinker

I'm an absolute newbie in using 3D programs. Love the potential of Blender, but haven't been able to get a usable grasp on it yet. I went to sketchup as a stepping stone to Blender.

Sketchup is simple.... doesn't render textures too well and the final drawings all have a "cartoony" look to them.... However... that simplicity is an advantage to a paper model designer who needs to design with the end desire being that the model has to be unfolded into flat puzzle pieces. I've attached a jpg of a project I'm working on now, the "kolywopter". I've managed to successfully use sketchup to complete particular elements of the design.

All in all, I'd recommend it as another decent tool for any paper model designer.

So...., when're you gonna start on the interior? ; )

Attached Files:

17. crimson

crimson Member

Impressive work outersketcher. It looks like sketchup works pretty well for you. I think I shall have to go back and take another look at it. I had a peek at your website too. A great style and new ideas. I look forward too seeing what you come up with.

Blender seems to be ok if you are designing 'freehand' or from blueprints (which is how I did the 'Minor), but there doesn't seem to be any way of accomplishing a 'technical' drawing as you would in something like Autocad, Inventor or Pro-E. I have not found a way to dimension anything.

I started with the Blender Wiki, and in particular, this tutorial:

BSoD/Introduction to Character Animation - BlenderWiki

I know it's about character animation, but it does take you right from the beginning of designing a character using blender, so it teaches you all the mouse and keyboard commands. It certainly helped me through the very steep learning curve that Blender presented me with.

My first design of the 'Minor with Blender looked ok, but it was useless as a starting point for a paper model. I almost had to start from scratch. The result was the very blocky looking model at the beginning of this thread. It went together OK, but looked awful. Hopefully it will be third time lucky!.

Interior..!? ..Maybe later. Much much later.
  18. crimson

crimson Member

Textures are done and printed (decided to make a green one this time). It looks more pixelated than it did on the first model, so I'll have to work out what I've done wrong there.

The build is going ok so far

19. jojopylote

jojopylote New Member

good montage and very nice
  20. crimson

crimson Member

And the 'finished' article:

There's still a little tinkering to do with the textures, but then it should be 'finished' and I can get some early nights.