module size?

ho_scale_rail

Jul 31, 2005
Is there a standard module size that most people use or are the modules just build to suit the needs of the individual?

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
HO-Trak and N-Track modules have specific dimensions in order to facilitate them being combined.

I build my home layout in four modules, simply because I knew I would be moving one day. It is easier to take the layout apart and move it as four pieces (2x5, 3x4, 2x6.5 and 2x7.5').

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Many modules are based on a 2x4 foot size - simply because anything bigger is more difficult to handle. Some of the modules at the local modular club are bigger (up tot 2x6) or specially shaped to be corners or transitions. Regardless of shape, most do not exceed 12 square feet of surface.

Other common sizes include the 18"x36" "mod-u-rail" size (Woodland Scenics?).

I would call Will's layout (described above) as sectional - not really modular - as he does not intend the parts to be interchangeable, and has not built them to any particular standard. He just wants the layout to be easy to move at some point. True modular layouts are designed to be taken apart and rearranged on a regular basis. See www.hotrak.ca for more...

Andrew

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I built my "sectional" layout on 24" X 3'-10 1/2" "modules", so they could be shipped in 4' X4' X 2' crates built from two 4' X 8' sheets of 3/4" plywood. I was active duty, and they were moved by "lowest bidder movers". Amazingly, they actually survived the moves!
Pete

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
One comment re 2x4 size, from experience with the Traction Layout ( built 2x4).
If you are doing shows with the modual fitting 4' in a van is tight and will mark the inside of the van.
(we have to fit them in the van length ways)
2x3'11" would have been great.

ho_scale_rail

Jul 31, 2005
I dont plan on taking my modules to a club and setting them up with other people's. My reason for using a modular construction is because i don't have a place to set up a permanent layout, so i am going to build it in sections that can be took apart and set somewhere for storage when i am not using the layout. So i guess i'll probably just build the modules to a size that best suits my needs.