THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
So true...

please note,
someone hacked your "TCF Gaming" site.:curse:

have not these stupid targets important
to harass people as private.
I do not understand these people sort !! :cry:

Those who have little skill in creating or growing can only be satiated in destroying or bullying.

For every step in evolution, the stragglers will snap weights upon the heels of those marching forward.

The DC

Tirick

Thank you mate, I noticed as I was uploading the .zip PDF files for the hills. Goddamn asshat.

Nevertheless, I rebuilt the frontpage so it is a little sparse at the moment. I deleted the data just in case he dumped something into it. At least the store was unaffected. I Reset all layered passwords so hopefully it doesn't happen again. I cannot believe the idiocy of some individuals. I mean WTF?

Oh, the hills PDF files are uploaded, THE DC. I packed the instructions with the PDF zip file so you only need to use that file. Hexes are at standard 1.25" (32 mm for us Metric folks).

Thank you,
Tirick

Tirick

I am finished about 1/2 of the test build of the 1:1000 scale train set; the straight tracks and the covered bridge. I've mounted the parts on acetate so that I can use them on any terrain board, although
the white glue has during curing warped it a little, they still work well.

IMG_1691.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

With 1:1000 Mechs for scale comparison:

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

I should really just start a thread on scale structures, but this one serves for now.

Enjoy,
Tirick

Z

Zathros

That blows beyond all belief. If there is any way we can help, even just storing the stuff here, let me know. You could always upload it, and at anytime, pull it. I am sorry this happened to you. You could upload it, I could make it unavailable till you want it to be. Let me know if there's anyway we can help!

Tirick

The terrain elements I'm posting on my site, Zathros (although they are in the store, they will all be free at this scale).

While I still have to finish the beta build of the rails and write instructions, I've since started a city road design. As roads tend toward 90 degree angles, there will be oddly shaped elements:

CityRoads-001.jpg

Tentatively I'll be designing around a 5-Hex 'block', or 150 meters, which is a little larger than a 'standard' New York block (130 meters or so). Of course all elements will be modular.

At the moment I'm planning 1,2,3 hex sections (center-to-center measurements, and cross-hex as shown below). A bridging section with ramps, a level rail crossing and maybe curved sections, depending on how I feel.

Generic city buildings may be next, although I'm frankly not certain. Lets get past this first.

Enjoy,
Tirick

Nosports

Hello,

i noticed you need two Hex for a straigt street......

Why not move the street alitte upward or downward, so that it uses only one half of the Hex ?
if you make it so, you need only one single hex to build a straight street instead of two.

Tirick

I've designed it such so that measurements are always from center of hex. This way I don't need to adjust if I go with wider or narrower streets, and I ensure later designs and building elements can incorporate this. If you want you could always trim the top/bottom half of the hex plate it is attached to. Alternately, as it is designed to be modular (those are laminated on the surface, not textured into the hex), you can always trim the road itself to fit your own needs.

Both the train and the road could be made and left without a hex base as well, although they would probably need a card underlay to strengthen them.

Tirick

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
A true contribution

These would add such an element to the gaming event because they'd resolve some of the old 'representation rule hic-ups of to 3d with 2d rules' that confounded gamers for so long. Simply stacking and removing the pieces could add huge to a gaming experience.

Think about a WWI game, using your landscape for the trenches, allowing trench war, and even using white of clear hexes to allow aircraft in stacked attacks!?

Range and modifiers could remain, so long as each hex, either horizontal, as the rules handle, or even vertical with minor modification of your gaming rules! Minor modification makes the holy grail of board gamaing.

My compliments.

The DC

Kjev

I can't find their site anymore, but Geo-Hex used to make modular terrain out of styrofoam. I tried making some out of pink insulation board, and it worked fairly well, but your measurements and cuts have to be EXACT! The nice thing was that with the pictures they showed, you could see how all the parts were shaped. If you can find them anywhere online, it might help you.

I may even have hardcopies of some of their pictures stashed somewhere. And if you ever decided to release copies of your modular terrain, I am DEFINITELY interested!

Kjev

I used to custom-build wargames terrain. That's actually what got me into paper models: I was looking for easier ways to make buildings. I'd be thrilled to beta-build for you, or help out in any way I can.

Tirick

The modular hills (hex) are released (and free) on my site: http://tcfgaming.com (in the store section).

When I was younger I was keen to get the geo-hex sets, although my budget has been seriously diminished since my college days (three kids can do that). My wife can tolerate the $10 paper cost every few months and printer ink (which she uses for picture printing anyway), so I use paper to supplement my lack of free cash.

I'm still working on the instructions for the train set (I was distracted by building the Mad Dog and the Marauder). I hope to get that done very soon. The roads may get delayed though. A game I've been waiting for for nearly two years will be released (early-access) on Saturday. This will likely dig deeply into available design/build time. I do sometimes get time during break/lunch to design, so it may not halt completely.

Thank you all for your comments!
Tirick

Tirick

Guild Wars 2. I expect it will consume significant amounts of my time for the next several months (if not years).