Modified Surfduke 1/48th Mercury-Atlas

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by JNDesign, Apr 1, 2009.

1. JNDesign

JNDesign New Member

Hi everyone, here are some pics of my latest project: Surfduke's 1/48th scale Mercury-Atlas, with some custom modifications. I didn't like the way the bottom bulkhead of the booster stage and the booster nacelles were engineered for the display version, so I re-designed them to be a little more accurate. It's been difficult because of the lack of good reference on the Atlas, but I've done the best I can with what I was able to find (I'll probably order a set of David Weeks' plans since I haven't had much luck in the public domain). I plan on redoing pretty much all of the other external details as well. Currently I'm working on the pods above the nacelles. I'll post more pictures as I progress. Hope you all like it.

P.S. If anyone knows where to find some good drawings of the Atlas on the net, I would be very grateful.

Attached Files:

2. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Modified Mercury-Atlas Model by Surfduke, 1:48 Scale

Hi Jason,

This is an interesting thread - I am also in the process of building this model by Carl 'Surfduke' Hewlett, in silver metallic paper. I look forward to seeing more of your modifications and updates.

You might find something useful on the Atlas booster in here:

I will keep a look-out, and let you know if I find anything more on this subject.

Bengt in Stockholm :thumb:
  3. JNDesign

JNDesign New Member

Thanks Bengt, I came across that site in my search as well. A lot of really incredible documents (especially the familiarization manuals), but I haven't found what I'm looking for in there yet.

This one will most likely end up being a test build, since I would love to do a metallic paper version as well. This subject really almost demands it. :)

If you're interested, I'd be happy to send you my parts as I design them. Just send me a PM with your email. I have the booster parts completed and a new cone section for the top of the tank. I found that the bottom of that part was too big so I had to cut a wedge out of the seam to get it to fit right. I also realigned the letters so that they line up better (I'm debating re-doing the lettering on the entire model as well, all the refs I've seen show them spaced much closer together).

4. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

There are some excellent reference drawings for various atlas's around the web. They are scattered about, but I have collected quite a few. I would be happy to share with any and all.
  5. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hi Jason,

Yes, I saw in the Familiarization Manual from 1961, that there are some very nice and detailed drawings of the black connector ring between the Mercury capsule and the Atlas booster and also of the clamp ring (with the three red clamps, that has exploding bolts) for the capsule. I have printed ot theses pages (pp. 62 and 262).

Mike Mackowski might have something on the Atlas booster in his Mercury book - I will check it out, if I can find it. David Weeks might also have some detailed drawings for sale.

I would be delighted to try out your modified parts for my Mercury-Atlas build. I will send you a PM with my e-mail address. Thanks.

Bengt :thumb:
  6. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Um... I didn't saw this on the Moon Port page... can anyone post the link to the Mercury-Atlas? Thanks!!! :-D
  7. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

I have this on file.:mrgreen: Send me a PM with your E-mail Address and I will send it to you....

8. dhanners

dhanners Member

I've been thinking of building this one, too, but doing a "frosted tank" version by combining some metallic paper for the lower part of the booster and some textured white paper for the ice-covered upper part. I think I was waiting to re-size the Mercury capsule, though, because I found one I liked better than Carl's. It's one of those models in my "I'll-Build-'em-Someday" pile....
  9. PEB

PEB New Member

Hi Jason,

I am new to this great hobby and have so far completed the Little Joe and Mercury Redstone in 1:48 from Card In Space. I just started building Surfduke’s Mercury Atlas when I saw your post! I had the same problem with the top of the tank being to big, but that was easily solved thanks to you tip!
    Now I have progressed to the same stage in which you show your Atlas rocket, but without instructions I am stuck trying to figure out where, and in which order to put the rest of the parts! :confused: Even though you are redoing much of the detailing I hope to be able to learn from your build!
    So please keep posting as you progress! :wave:

Best regards,

P.S. For those who do not already know of it, this site might be interesting:
  10. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Welcome to the Forum.

I was just in Kusadasi and Ephesus a few months ago. A very beautiful land.

Good luck with your model building.
  11. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Hello Bengt,

If you don't mind, would you post some pictures of your Atlas in silver paper? You always do such a nice job, and I need some inspiration.
  12. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hi Steve,

Sure - I will post a photo of my Atlas metallic paper build - if I can find it. I took one for the nice guy on this forum who sent me a couple of Red River papers for a test.

I wonder on which drive or DVD I put it ? . .

13. Ben, I am he guy who sent you the Red River Paper. I posted my version of the Atlas some time ago. Let's see yours.

Attached Files:

14. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Mercury-Atlas Model by Carl 'Surfduke Hewlett

Hi Tim,

Thanks once again for taking the trouble of sending me the sheets of Red river Metallic paper. I have just been in contact with a nice guy at Red River, and they have agreed to send me larger sheets.
    I followed your build thread very closely- it was interesting and your model turned out very fine indeed.

I will try to find the photo of my preliminary assembly of the Mercury-Atlas, and when I do, I will post it rightaway. However, it just a few parts on top of each other and the surface resembles your model above very much. I look forward to continuing with the build soon.

15. Shin_kazama

Shin_kazama Member

red river papaer is never available in the philippines sadly..

i was looking fo a printer friendly silver paper to buil my apollo csm, and some other silver projects.
  16. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Tim and Bengt,

Thanks to both of you for satisfying my request. The Red River paper really works for this model.
  17. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Mercury-Atlas Model by Carl 'Surfduke Hewlett

Hi Steve and Tim,

I finally found it.
    Here´s the photo of my preliminary 'dry-fit' assembly of Carl´s 1:48 scale Mercury-Atlas launcher model. As you can see,
    I have inscribed fine horizontal lines, with an old ball-point pen, to indicate the joints between the metal plating on the launcher - below it is a photo of the 'real thing':

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I think I will try an upper section frosted tank option, in a suitable icy, milk-white, rugged surface material, before I decide how to finally build it. If it is to be Wally Schirra´s Sigma 7 'Grand Turtle' launch, that would definitely be the way to go.

18. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Thank you VERY much. The scribed lines really add to the metallic paper.

You and Tim have defined my next project with your pictures. Thanks to both of you.
  19. gpw

gpw Member

Here is the link to the Mercury-Atlas
  20. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Got it!!! thanks a lot!!! :-D