Modern ship kits in booklet form

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hi All

I've built a few ships but all save a Bismark from Wilhelmshaven (30 years ago) have been from CD or download so I know very little of the modern versions.

I have a wonderfully detailed copy of Halinski's HMS Hood the printing is clear and precise and if builds as well as it looks I will be delighted. However the days when Royal Navy captains provided ther own enamel paint for their ships were long gone in the 1930's.

I have always remembered from my childhood these ships having a pretty dull finish if not downright rusty. When I take copys of the sheets to allow for my mistakes this will no longer be a problem as she will look like the rest of my ships with a matt finish.

Question is what do other people think or do about it.

barry

wunwinglow

Jan 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
www.kipperboxes.co.uk
Barry, call in at your local Jessops camera shop (there are three in Brighton!) and get some of their Inkjet Protective Spray, in three finishes, gloss, matt and satin. Product codes are GEPUSG300, GEPUSM300 and GEPUSS300 respectively. Page 97 of their current giveaway catalogue. The matt works really well, covers any glossy glue spills and gives everything a nice even finish. UV protection, too. It is designed for inkjets, but as always, try it on some scrap first. It is the same stuff I used to proof polystyrene sheet that had been through the printer.

Tim P

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Another possibility is to go to an artist's supply shop and get a can of spray fixative. It is intended to keep chalks and charcoals from smearing once the picture is completed, and will work as well on our cardmodels. They come in matte, semigloss, and gloss finishes....I would imagine one would find use of all the finish types in the course of putzing around with our paper thingies.

cecil_severs

Mar 26, 2004
New Mexico
Here's a third vote for the Krylon acrylic sprays. Just stay away from the low-odor versions. They tend to leave a powdery residue.

Cecil