Modern paint schemes on gp7's & 9's

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Another board I look at is Railroad Forums.com. That board is more into railfanning, whereas The Gauge is more model centered. The two boards make a nice balance. Anyway, on that board on the Freight Railroads forum, sub grouping "Class 1," there is a post entitled "most beautiful Gp9." On that thread is a pic of a "torpedo boat" high hood Gp9 on the BNSF in the orange and green Heritage scheme. As I looked at the picture, it dawned on me that all of the models of Gp7's & 9's, or 20's & 30's for that matter are offered in traditional paint schemes as they were painted when new. Modelers who are modeling modern day railroads don't even take a second look. It seems to me that manufacturers are missing an opportunity to increase the size of their market by not offering these models in modern paint schemes where there is a prototype to copy, either from a class 1, a short line, or a lease unit.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Are there decals made for most of them , or are the decal manufacturers the same way?
I knew a guy back in Pa. that made a pretty good bussiness of custom painting unavailable paint scemes.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Got this pic from a site called BNSF.pix.
Cool site. Gives almost a complete roster and pictures.
Real nice paint job.

Attachments

• 16260326030659.jpg
    16260326030659.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 75
C

Catt

Actually alot of decal sets can be used to letter up these old workhorses.BNSF has a large varieity of rebuilt older locos that are still in active service and are indeed letter in current BNSF schemes. :D

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Most of the modelers who post regularly on this site could probably custom paint anything, and many of the needed decals are available. I was thinking of so many of the new generation of model railroaders who either are afraid to kitbash and custom paint rolling stock, or as I'm finding out talking to some of the guys in the modular club, just don't have time to do any serious modeling. If it isn't ready made, ready to run, they don't have the time for it.