Modern Grain Terminal - Card + Other

Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by Ronson2k3, May 15, 2009.

1. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

I'm not sure if this is the correct area for this idea but I'm thinking it's some what architecture (industrial design). What I want to model is a modern well not to modern but 70's - 80's grain terminal. If it's not to hard to do hoping to make most of the structure out of card stock if possible.

I'm not quite sure how to model the corrugated metal sides of the grain bins. from what I've looked at the bins at terminals are pretty huge. I looked a few basic dimensions and found that the second largest by a current manufacturer is 90 feet in diameter (HO 12.41 inches) or about 38 inches in circumferance.

I have a few different ideas on how to do the corrugation.

Using card stock.

1 - Heat embossing. Using a powder embosser + pen (or inking the underside). Once printed and embossed put around a paint can or other large round item to give it shape. The downside would be the size of the card. At 38 inches that's a lot of card. I don't even think bristal board comes in that size. Split in half that's 19" still pretty big. Then heat embossing that size could be interesting too.

2 - Making individual ring sections on the bin in much the same way they are actually made. Building and gluing as i go along. I'm thinking the outer ribs are where it's attached (hiding the joints around the rings).

I think the second one has a better chance. I have scene the tool posted by a member here who's name escapes me now sorry. Very cool device. If I had the tools to make that tool it would be in on my equipment list. It sure would be interesting to see how the real items are made as well as constructed. I would almost think the ring parts are stamped whole or perhaps extruded? As the corrugation would make it hard to curve after it's been formed that way. One of the big reasons it's so strong. Hey that gives me an idear...

Out of Metal (Aluminum Foil)

If making it out of metal it would need a backing to keep it's shape. Unlike the real ones it would be made out of foil. I would need to make a mold for the foil to be pressed in.

Jig made out hard wood (to stand up to multiple pressings)
    More then one mold per ring so I can press a complete ring at once.
    Various sizes for different diameter bins/vessels.

Next problem is attaching that to a card backing board. What adhesive to use??

Any thoughts or other ideas feel free...
  2. gleasure

gleasure Member

Interesting idea...

One question for you: Does the material actually have to be corrugated, or will a visual effect do? I know one of the commercial paper model manufacturers (Steven's Creek? Paper Creek?) has a sheet of corrugated roofing that you have to actually touch to see that it's not the real thing.

I've done something similar with a technique called "shadowlining". It sounds like you are coming from the model railroad world, so you might know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, using Adobe Illustrator, I created a gradient going from a darker shade (the areas that would be in shadow) to a lighter shade (the areas that are catching light). Repeat as many times as necessary to get the correct number of corrugations.

My efforts were for decal artwork (to be applies to a p*****c passenger car model), but several of the paper sheets I printed as test patterns looked good as well.

Keep us posted on your progress!
  3. hmas

hmas Member

Faller I believe still make corrugated iron, in stiff thin cardboard.
    Or buy some plastic corrugated iron then use it as a template, lay ali foil on it & with a stiff brush force the foil into the corrugations. Weather to taste.
    I post when needed not to get big scores on the board
  4. gleasure

gleasure Member

If you look close, I suspect that you will discover that these are made up of smaller panels that have been bolted together/to an interior skeleton. That might simplify your construction- Make a bunch of smaller sheets with the proper curve, and then use these to build the rings (If I'm understanding what you mean by rings correctly).

Excellent idea, I would add a couple of comments/suggestions:

1) Evergreen Styrene makes "corrugated siding" as 6" x 12" sheets in a variety of spacings. It's definitely strong enough to serve as a pattern master. Find the spacing that works best, and go to town!

2) I have seen paper-backed foil (or foil-backed paper?) in a couple of craft and paper specialty stores. It may also be referred to as embossing paper. Would definitely hold the corrugation pattern once you do it. Plus, the paper backing would be a snap to glue to whatever you are using to give the structure the proper size and shape. 3M Super77 spray adhesive works great for bonding paper to paper, metal, wood, etc.

If trying this method, I would definitely find a way to emboss the paper/foil so that it becomes corrugated AND with the correct curve. IOW, curve the plastic master to the correct shape before embossing the paper. As you have already surmised, trying to curve the corrugated foil/paper would be tricky.

5. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

I have thought of the Shadowing (Faux) texturing of the panels. I do quite a bit of graphic arts too. I could even use a photo of corrugated metal as a template to do the effect. If the structure isn't to close to the viewer you can get away with that as the corrugations are pretty minimal in HO in any case. I'm resisting the urge to go to evergreen for the styrene out of the expense. From my calculations some of the bins are about 14" in diameter at HO Scale and about that tall. They grow bins big in Iowa. Some of the largest I've ever seen. I may end up with evergreen though. The corrugation isn't as deep as I had thought when I first started the project and the faux (shadow effect) looks pretty good for bins that are out of human reach.

I had thought the bigger the bin the bigger the corrugation but that's not the case. They are a bit bigger as the size goes up but in inches. From an HO standpoint that's pretty small.

Thanks for your input though gentleman I think that's got me on the right track.
  6. ad602000

ad602000 ad602000

to corrugate foil get a bolt with appropriately sized thread, you can also curve it on the thread