Modern Diesel Locomotive Length

Christopher62

Jan 12, 2006
Livonia, Michigan
Can anyone tell me, are all the (real) locomotives being made today the long, six-axle type? Say I wanted to model a modern-day HO scale layout with modern locomotives but don't want the huge 22" sweeping curves, can I still do that? Additionally, are any of the older, shorter locomotives still in use today?

Thanks all!

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
I am no expert but most modern diesel electric locos are 4 axels total like in this picture.
Also I see GP38 are common freight locos around here...
2226XL.JPG

kitsune

Sep 10, 2006
4-axle road freight locmotives have not been manufactured in the US since the early 1990s, with the EMD GP60/GP60M. The vast majority of freight locomotives are 6 axle engines.

HO scale 22" radius curves are not very broad. In fact, I haven't used anything below a 30" curve in nearly a decade of layouts. And those were small, around the wall designs with less square footage than a 4x8.

Yes, smaller 4-axle engines like the GP38 and GP40 series are still common. They are primarily used for yard power, locals, and by shortlines. Smaller dedicated switcher designs are also still in service, though they are somewhat rare these days.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Most wouldn't consider 22" to be a "huge sweeping curve", but merely the biggest curve you can fit on a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

There are still plenty of four-axle diesels working around the country, mostly in second-line or switcher duty. The only "new" four-axle locomotives that come to mind are the smaller passenger locomotives I see pushing Amtrak Capitol Corridor and other commuter/regional trains, and the "Green Goat" prototypes--and unfortunately there are no models of the "Green Goat" yet (although I think they'd sell like hotcakes!) (In case you don't know, the "Green Goat" is basically a hybrid locomotive, built on a recycled Geep frame.)

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
Chris--- I just sold two GP30's to a friend, but while I had them, I had no problem running them on 18" and 22" curves. In fact, they looked fine on the 22" track. --John R

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
Maybe hes talking about scale wise when it comes to real trains. Lol cuz I dont see real trains make 22" curves at their scale I dont think... maybe im wrong i dunno :p

...ya im going to soon be running 21.125 " (custom lol i had to measure ;\) and 22"...or something like that :p)

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
MPI & Rail Power still produce 4 Axle units, and NRE still rebuilds 4 axle units, look at BNSF's order of GP38-2's from NRE.

Most of my HO units take the 22" radius of my test track well, though the Overland chassis on my Dash8-40CW derails.