models display cabinets

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by tzachil, Apr 10, 2005.

1. tzachil

tzachil New Member

I am looking into building me a display cabinet for my models, and I would love to get ideas and examples on how you all store and display your models. if you can add some pictures it will be very helpful
  2. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hi :wink:

Well... I personally put them on the windowsills, shelves and hung on the ceiling :)

Some people use aquariums, but mostly for displaying ships, because it is extremely hard to clean them from dust. This is the example of the cabinets used in the model exibitions:

Good luck!

3. J.L.

J.L. Member

I will be writing an article in Tips and Techniques about the use of archive boxes I make to store my architectural models. The boxes are not used to display models. They store the models that can then be brought out for display. The boxes prevent light, dust and damage. They also transport very well with handles cut into the lids and employ velcro bands to fasten the lids to their dedicated base.
  4. jmueller

jmueller Member

I use acrylic plates from the local Home Depot or similar. And I use the cheap ones (sometimes called hobbyglas). This stuff is not crystal clear but a little greenish/blueish. You score it with a knive and then just break it. Works really fine. And you dont have to bother about sanding the edges, they are blueish/greenish anyway :D . The plates can then be glued together using two-component glue or special acrylic glue. The base is made from a scrap piece of particle board with some nice strip of wood glued around.

5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Beautiful case! The edge color of the plastic makes it appear like a glass display case. Protetcting your invested time is a very good idea.

Best regards, Gil
  6. cooey

cooey New Member

Great! Yours would be a much needed tip for me. I've only come to realize that I can't display all my models, plastic, metal and paper, in the house. Storage boxes like those would be a brilliant alternative to keeping stuff in shoeboxes. I'm planning a bimonthly rotating display, with the newest models enjoying the display shelf for a while. :)