Modelling in different scales?

RobertInOntario

I'm interested to find out if many members model in different scales or gauges, and if so, which ones?

I have a 4x6' HO layout but I keep thinking that maybe I could build an N scale layout as well. I've spent a lot of money and time getting this HO layout working, so part of me says I'm crazy to start all over ... If I ever did start an N scale layout, it would simply be a small "side" project as I'd still like to keep my main focus on my HO layout.

At this point, this is simply a vague, sketchy idea that might never happen. But do many of you model in different scales. And, realistically, what's the smallest practical size for an N scale layout?

Thanks! Rob

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Hi RobertInOntario :wave:

I'm building a HO layout but will also start on a N scale coffe table layout soon- it will prbably be a figure 8 or a simple oval and siding. This way, if you have guests they can get a glimps of your hobby, when they pass comments on how nice it looks- say to them: "Now come look at my big trains".

A friend of mine built a coffee table layout for a convention and won first prize- when the ladies walked by- forget about the trains- they commented on how cute the little ducks looked in the pond!

berraf

RobertInOntario said:
If I ever did start an N scale layout, it would simply be a small "side" project as I'd still like to keep my main focus on my HO layout.
Watch out Robert, the side project could easily be the main project :wave:
If so, don't be afraid, just let the N-scale come in to your heart :D

RobertInOntario

Thanks, guys. So I'll keep thinking about this and see where it goes -- so I'm not going mad then! I like the idea of having a smaller layout to entice people to seeing my larger trains! I can also see how a "side" project can easily become the main one, especially when I don't have much room here. I'd start gradually. Rob

myltlpny

I model primarily HO, but about 15 years ago I joined an N gauge club. I went N-gauge because it was easier to transport the smaller trains. Now when I get the urge to run N-gauge, I set up my Kato Unitrack for a couple of days, then take it down and put it away for another month. I may make a small coffee table layout someday, but no real plans right now.

Ironhead

RobertInOntario said:
And, realistically, what's the smallest practical size for an N scale layout?
You can fit a double loop inside a 24"x 48" piece of plywood, with sidings in the center, and this is not as uncommon as you might think. But for some running room and realistic industry sidings, the minimum I would go for is a hollow door size (30"x 80")...you can really make that size into a nice little gem of a railroad with some decent planning.

RobertInOntario

Ironhead said:
You can fit a double loop inside a 24"x 48" piece of plywood, with sidings in the center, and this is not as uncommon as you might think. But for some running room and realistic industry sidings, the minimum I would go for is a hollow door size (30"x 80")...you can really make that size into a nice little gem of a railroad with some decent planning.

Thanks, Ironhead, I was just thinking about that question! So if I wanted a very basic side project, I could go with 2x4'. But if I had the extra room, something around 30"x80" would be still portable & not require much space. More ideas to ponder! Thanks again, Rob

RobertInOntario

MadHatter said:
Hi RobertInOntario :wave:

I'm building a HO layout but will also start on a N scale coffe table layout soon- it will prbably be a figure 8 or a simple oval and siding. This way, if you have guests they can get a glimps of your hobby, when they pass comments on how nice it looks- say to them: "Now come look at my big trains".
A friend of mine built a coffee table layout for a convention and won first prize- when the ladies walked by- forget about the trains- they commented on how cute the little ducks looked in the pond!

Thanks, MadHatter. It does sound as in N gauge lends itself to small, coffee table projects. I wondering that, perhaps in a year or so, I might start into a small N project. Since I'm currently tight for space, this might be a realistic option. I hope your upcoming coffee table layout goes well! Rob

paceway

Bob,
How about two scales/gauges on one layout. Example.. I am building a G gauge (1:20.3 scale) layout and it will have an HO gauge (Gn15 scale) induustrial operation within it. In my case probably a phosphate minning operation with several switchbacks and some very specialized equipment. A qreat oppertunity for model building.

That will give you the best of both worlds all in one layout.

Biased turkey

Ironhead said:

I second Ironhead suggestion, the hollow door size is great ( that's the space my wife allowed me to have in our living room ) , but go for the maximum hollow door size ( 36" x 80 " ) instead.

Right now I'm starting a minimalistic N scale layout on a 25" by 36" piece of hollow door.
It has an oval , a runaround track and 1 spur. My wife find it cute.
I wanted to start in HO scale but my wife didn't look too happy when she saw me measuring a 4' by 8' space in our living room ( we live in an appartment )

Warning : N scale can be addictive