Modelling in different scales?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by RobertInOntario, Mar 10, 2007.

1. RobertInOntario

RobertInOntario Active Member

I'm interested to find out if many members model in different scales or gauges, and if so, which ones?

I have a 4x6' HO layout but I keep thinking that maybe I could build an N scale layout as well. I've spent a lot of money and time getting this HO layout working, so part of me says I'm crazy to start all over ... If I ever did start an N scale layout, it would simply be a small "side" project as I'd still like to keep my main focus on my HO layout.

At this point, this is simply a vague, sketchy idea that might never happen. But do many of you model in different scales. And, realistically, what's the smallest practical size for an N scale layout?

Thanks! Rob
  2. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

Hi RobertInOntario :wave:

I'm building a HO layout but will also start on a N scale coffe table layout soon- it will prbably be a figure 8 or a simple oval and siding. This way, if you have guests they can get a glimps of your hobby, when they pass comments on how nice it looks- say to them: "Now come look at my big trains".

A friend of mine built a coffee table layout for a convention and won first prize- when the ladies walked by- forget about the trains- they commented on how cute the little ducks looked in the pond!
  3. ESE999

ESE999 Member

HO, N, and O27
  4. berraf

berraf Member

Watch out Robert, the side project could easily be the main project :wave:
    If so, don't be afraid, just let the N-scale come in to your heart :D
  5. RobertInOntario

Thanks, guys. So I'll keep thinking about this and see where it goes -- so I'm not going mad then! I like the idea of having a smaller layout to entice people to seeing my larger trains! I can also see how a "side" project can easily become the main one, especially when I don't have much room here. I'd start gradually. Rob
  6. myltlpny

myltlpny Member

I model primarily HO, but about 15 years ago I joined an N gauge club. I went N-gauge because it was easier to transport the smaller trains. Now when I get the urge to run N-gauge, I set up my Kato Unitrack for a couple of days, then take it down and put it away for another month. I may make a small coffee table layout someday, but no real plans right now.
  7. jasbourre

jasbourre Member

I'm building an 11 by 7 N gauge layout, and I have an arround the room HO layout.
  8. Ironhead

Ironhead New Member

You can fit a double loop inside a 24"x 48" piece of plywood, with sidings in the center, and this is not as uncommon as you might think. But for some running room and realistic industry sidings, the minimum I would go for is a hollow door size (30"x 80") can really make that size into a nice little gem of a railroad with some decent planning.
  9. RobertInOntario

Thanks, Ironhead, I was just thinking about that question! So if I wanted a very basic side project, I could go with 2x4'. But if I had the extra room, something around 30"x80" would be still portable & not require much space. More ideas to ponder! Thanks again, Rob
  10. RobertInOntario

Thanks, MadHatter. It does sound as in N gauge lends itself to small, coffee table projects. I wondering that, perhaps in a year or so, I might start into a small N project. Since I'm currently tight for space, this might be a realistic option. I hope your upcoming coffee table layout goes well! Rob
  11. paceway

paceway New Member

How about two scales/gauges on one layout. Example.. I am building a G gauge (1:20.3 scale) layout and it will have an HO gauge (Gn15 scale) induustrial operation within it. In my case probably a phosphate minning operation with several switchbacks and some very specialized equipment. A qreat oppertunity for model building.

That will give you the best of both worlds all in one layout.
  12. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

I second Ironhead suggestion, the hollow door size is great ( that's the space my wife allowed me to have in our living room ) , but go for the maximum hollow door size ( 36" x 80 " ) instead.

Right now I'm starting a minimalistic N scale layout on a 25" by 36" piece of hollow door.
    It has an oval , a runaround track and 1 spur. My wife find it cute.
    I wanted to start in HO scale but my wife didn't look too happy when she saw me measuring a 4' by 8' space in our living room ( we live in an appartment )

Warning : N scale can be addictive