Modeller's Etiquette

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by silverw, Dec 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silverw

silverw Member

Hello Everybody.... :)

I'll probably get into trouble for this, but, I would like to suggest that maybe we could use a set of rules or, Etiquette, for posters on this forum. I don't mean anything nasty, but just gentle suggestions.

... The FIRST that I would like to suggest,... is that when someone posts titled "BUILD THREAD" ... that we refrain (don't do it) from instantly hitting the reply button to say "WOW" ... or anything else.

I know that the fantastic pictures that you see Instantantly make you want to respond, ... but, why not start a new thread... "KODOOS TO..whatever"?

I say this because from previous experience.... what you want to be a continuous build post, turns out to be filled with 'well meaning GREATS' ..
    and inevitably will go off topic... to who knows where???

PS and HOWEVER... I would invite any and all to instantly reply to "THIS" post ... with your thoughts!! :)

2. Texman

Texman Guest

I can understand your point. I once had to re-hijack my own build thread back to being a build thread! And I do agree, a build thread should be just that, with the continuity of the build intact. I reckon I'm trying to say, I Agree.

3. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I don't really agree with this idea, because it is good to see other user comments in the same thread. I do understand that some build threads do get very long, but it is easier to read one thread with the build and comments in the same place, instead of having to open two threads and trying to get the comments in order with the build.
  4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I don't agree as well, sometimes during a build, encourageing feedback is most welcome. Some of us "live for the wows", recognition by our peers is a basic human need. There is also the chance to discuss any problems and solicit help during a build. So far during a build thread if the subject gets highjacked take it back.
  5. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

I disagree with this proposal also. I will continue to post my comments in the original build thread. I will start a second thread only if I am introducing a new subject and do not want to hijack the original thread.
  6. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Don't mean to jump on the band wagon but I also think it is a terrible idea, I know that some builders have continued their builds due to the amount of praise they have been given just when they were about to give up.
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

As I noted in the other thread I dont like it either - now if someone is interested in what I said there - they have to go look....

Its good to discuss it though!

Maybe a good alternative (somewhat work intensive but maybe someone wants to do it) woudl be to go through an entire thread and pull out everything build related and make it into a pdf and attach it to the first post in the thread once its completed - maybe I will try it on my 115 build and see how it works just for giggles
  8. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

I would not be a fan of this. Yes some people get off topic. But what about those people that put in good comments and keep you from making mistakes or give you little hints where you might go wrong. :(
  9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

The intervening text CAN sometimes be a distraction, particularly when it's, ahem, "content free", but quite often it's some very helpful tip or pointer, or alternate technique. I know I've often learned something from a reponse.

I think the PDF extraction is a great idea, if someone has the time and desire to do it. I've done it myself several times for OTHER people's build threads so that I can save them on my local drive for later quick use. But I archived the whole thing, comments and all.

10. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Just above cgutzmer has just proved my point about opening two threads. This would only be a good idea when talking starts to go off topic. I am a member on the forum and they work the same way as this site and split the forums when talking starts to get off topic. As per the shuttle launch today- live shuttle updates on one forum but the weather updates on another forum. I would recommend forum for anybody interested in current space issues.
  11. dinsour

dinsour Member

I like to think of these forums as a bunch of people sitting around discussing there hobby. If you start restricting when I can make a comment, half the fun goes away. When that happens, it is only a short time before I go away.
    The purpose of a hobby is enjoyment and I for one enjoy this one just as it is. IMHO :twisted:

-----73 Ron
  12. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

I also disagree with the original post. For my part, I enjoy getting responses from other members, and it is in fact highly motivating. When I post and don't get any responses, I sometimes wonder whether anyone is deriving any benefit from it.

I belong to a ship modeling club whose regular meetings, because of the distance I now live from them, I can no longer attend. Show-and-tell was a big part of those meetings, and comments and polite banter are a part of show-and-tell. A meeting where people showed their models (finished or in-progress) and no one responded would be stale, boring, and (frankly) a bit of a turn-off. I see this forum as a "virtual modeling club" and think all the extra chatter in a build thread is a vital part of it, at least during an initial build. Perhaps when the build is completed and archived, removing the extra posts would be in order.

13. Darwin

Darwin Member

I also add my opinion to the negative pannier of the scale. I view the build strings as an extended chat room, and want the interaction. The positive responses help keep me going on the build, and provides a directly related way for other members to give me "I know a better/easier way to do it" input or to ask questions for how/why I did something. Basically put, to me a build string is a virtual model club building session. Chris expressed it quite well...without input, I came to the conclusion there wasn't enough interest out there to justify the time spend on doing the postings.

That said, I can see the point of the thread initiator. On Saul's old ezine, I enjoyed the build articles. We don't have an exact equivalent in our site. Perhaps we should have a section like where members can post (maybe in pdf format) their construction articles or extended photoshoots of their completed models. It would be possible that, once a build string is finished, it could be edited to distill out the interactions and then move the "pure building stuff" from the "virtual club meeting" section of the site to the "newsletter articles" section.
  14. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I like getting the wows. The fun of posting pictures is getting people's reactions. Sometimes they start with wow and then ads some interesting information or observations.

I scan through threads looking for the photos. I don't like to have to slow down to click on something to see if it's interesting.

15. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I have to throw in my two bits on the negative side of the scale as well.

I think it's just common courtesty that folks already understand to not hijack threads or post off topic stuff in them. Sure, sometimes we can get off track, but it's generally not malicious and the original poster certainly has the right to say "Hey, let's stick to the subject." Hence, I don't think we need to outlay that as rules.

Like the others, I enjoy seeing feedback on my threads. It does provide impetus to keep going sometimes.

Admittedly, I produce rather detailed build threads, but it's the camaraderie that drew me to the board in the first place and keeps me here.

I've been on boards that over regulated themselves with rules, and it ends up killing both the fun and the board itself eventually.
  16. speedless

speedless Member

Just my words,but in a nice way!
  17. silverw

silverw Member

Hi all and thankyou for your comments.

I think that I would still prefer to read a nice clean build report, with the comments, questions and suggestions parallel to or following.

I guess it's just a personal preference. :)

.... Bill
  18. speedless

speedless Member

Heres some rules for you;
    The ten rules are:

You shall not think that you are special.
    You shall not think that you are of the same standing as us.
    You shall not think that you are smarter than us.
    Don't fancy yourself as being better than us.
    You shall not think that you know more than us.
    You shall not think that you are more important than us.
    You shall not think that you are good at anything.
    You shall not laugh at us.
    You shall not think that anyone cares about you.
    You shall not think that you can teach us anything.
    Just an old danish law,"JANTE-LAW"
  19. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Let's keep it nice now... :eek:
  20. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OK............ well guys what about this.

Is it possible to make another forum for completed build threads? Can the admin make it so that a person can "group" his own posts into one seperate thread and put it in this special forum?

I'm not no site designer, or anything like that; but it seems that there should be some Web software that will allow something like that.

Or is this a pie-in-the-sky idea?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.