Modeling water with glass

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
As an afterthought, what would be the best way to secure the pier pilings onto the glass? Thought of using clear silicon but I'm wondering if anyone had any better Ideas.
Also, is there a good coastal freighter model made ? If not I guess I'll either scrathbuild one :( Or scratchbuild a barge to go by the dock. I'm already bidding on an old tyco gantry crane model for the pier.

Clark A.

Nov 9, 2004
Garden City, Michigan
Coastal Freighter

Glen Haasdyk said:
As an afterthought, what would be the best way to secure the pier pilings onto the glass? Thought of using clear silicon but I'm wondering if anyone had any better Ideas.
Also, is there a good coastal freighter model made ? If not I guess I'll either scrathbuild one :( Or scratchbuild a barge to go by the dock. I'm already bidding on an old tyco gantry crane model for the pier.
In HO? Nope....they're enormous.....send me a private message...i can help you a lot with boat models.....also, http://greatlakesmodeling.com go through the galleries and look at Belle River......Clark

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
In HO? Nope....they're enormous.....send me a private message...i can help you a lot with boat models.....also, http://greatlakesmodeling.com go through the galleries and look at Belle River......Clark

Sorry, I don't know my nautical terms very well. I'm looking for a smaller freight vessel in HO it would be about 15-20" long. If one doesn't exist them I'll look for a barge of some kind

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Clark:
Sylvan Scale models makes a Great Lakes freighter in HO in resin.
It's a monster and you can add extra sections to make it larger. Apparently, quite a doozy to build as well. Finely detailed; apparently the man that is Sylvan worked on them for a while.

capt_turk

Nov 14, 2004
Green Cove Springs, Fla.
Frequency of calms in harbors depends on the time of year. In summer, it is seen about 25% of the time. In winter, maybe 2%. In summer, I've seen it be flat calm, not even a ripple, for several days at a time, even in the middle of the Atlantic.

Clark A.

Nov 9, 2004
Garden City, Michigan
I've seen that thing and was in disbelief when i saw they called it a great lakes freighter....its an ocean tanker....if youe ever seen a real great lakes freighter youd understand....

Clark

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Okay, I took a look at the 'water now that it's set down but I think most of you are right, it looks too smooth. I Bought some epoxy resin called EnviroTex Lite pour-on High gloss finish. Does anyone have experience with this or something simular? I have heard that if you mix more hardener into it it will ripple like waves. Does anyone have any other methods of making this stuff wavy? also How would you go about making a dam so this wouldn't run off and all over my new carpet?

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Upon discussing the 'water dillema with Dash, I've decide to just stick with the glass water, since the epoxy won't work with the fold-out harbor. Still looking for a boat or barge though, I have an empty 20" x 8" harbour that needs something there!