Modeling style?

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
There is no right / wrong way.

Do you finish benchwork first, lay track, then do scenery?
or
Build some benchwork, lay some track, do scenery & super detailing, then add on new section?

I do the second. Although it's no George Sellios, I like to do alot of scenery & detailing before working on the next part of a layout.

OnTrack

Sep 24, 2006
Amelia, ohio
Im yet to start on my layout, but i think I will most likely go more with the first option rather than the second. I wont know till I start i guess:)

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I usually finish the benchwork first, lay track, then do scenery.
However with the N scale layout we are restoring we are doing it as sections.
I find it nice to see trains running on it already and look forward to doing the next section.

LOL! There is no ryhme nor reason to what I do! Started a section that will be mostly city,

layout001.jpg

Now I have switched to a 2' X 2' diorama of a lake scene that will double as an access panel on my layout, and a display model for when I am a vendor at train shows!

pondstwo001.jpg

David

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
Dear CSX,

I was just thinking about this!

I end up doing pieces at a time, although I like to see projects through step by step to the end. I my modelling, it seems I need to be able to take a break and actually run the trains on a layout, even it it isn't finished. This practice helps "debug" trackwork and other issues as you go, too.

Here is a section that is in a stage. I can run trains on it, but I can also remove the structures and detail them. The magenta boxed area you see has had the luann removed (and some ties) so I can work on adding a pit for my hoppers to dump coal and limestone by those kilns.

akt.jpg

Shall I take a few pics of my progress and post them here?

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
I do a section at a time. I can try newer techniques, my thought process and interest doesn't get stale, and I can run trains sooner. Although right now I have benchwork without track, benchwork with naked track, ballasted track without scenery or structures, etc. You get the picture.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
On my industrial switching layouts I prefer to place my industries and then lay track to the buildings..Thay way I know what will or will not work without having to take up and redo the track.

Alan Bickley

Dec 22, 2003
Bicester, Oxford, UK
Visit site
I do it either way. Sometimes I would install the track first and then build around it if I have a good idea of where I want things to go. Right now, I am working on a diorama where I have started to make the buildings before I have even built the baseboard. This is because I can position the buildings when finished to get an idea of how big I need the baseboard to be as well as knowing how the buildings and scenery will look on the finished job.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
I have to disagree...

...with the premise of this post. There is a wrong way and a right way to model. I always try to model with style- as you suggest. To not, is well, unacceptable. I offer my comment as a means to create a sensation.

sign1

Other then that- I uh, well, I start out laying track, then I place a few buildings and after I realize I can't possibly do what I thought I could, I re-examine my layout plans and chastise myself for thinking I could cheat the scale of the buildings. Then, and only then, after I comitted quite a bit of time energy and money do I rip everything out and start again!

Mark :) A question of style. I'm stumped!

Edited to correct typos- I don't asdoifhyokj too good.