Modeling question - Glue recommendation?

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Wily, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Wily

Wily Member

I'm building ModelArt's P-51D (352nd colors) and the recommendation from the designer is that Water-based glues be avoided.

Frankly, I use Elmer's Tacky Glue...superglue and contact cement, but what else is there?

What "non" water based glues are available in America?
  2. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Dunno, try Loctite glue, gel :)
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Must be a model from Europe :) In the USA we tend to typically use water based glues like aileens. In europe they tend to go more superglue type.

Does it have some kind of special metalic paper?
  4. Patty

Patty King of Swaziland

Superglue GEL all the way! NO liquid for obvious reasons.
  5. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Some people use UHU Office Pen liquid glue, #99570, made in Germany. They swear by it. The package says it contains less liquid and more glue ingredients than ordinary liquid glue so it does not wrinkle paper. My experience with it has not been very satisfactory. I use Aleene's Fast Grab and Quick Dry Tacky Glue. Those that use the UHU probably don't like the Aleene's. :)
  6. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

I also use Aleenes quick dry. It comes in the silver bottle and can be found in any walmart, hobby lobby, or the like.

I do, however, keep a few tubes of super glue nearby for certain pieces. Generally I use the super glue to adhere some non-paper detail, or to tack something in place very very quickly. I might use it 2 or three times during an entire model build.
  7. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

I just use plain 'ol Elmers white glue 90% of the time. I have found that it works better than just about anything else. The other 10% of the time I use Aleens quick grab (Purple label), Gel CA for gluing on small bits of wire, and 3M 77 spray adhesive (don't skimp here only use the 3M brand - it's the best).
    A while ago I tried some type of clear cement that I picked up from wal-mart (I forget the exact brand name - came in a yellow and green metal tube) I did not like it at all. What a mess, could not easily clean up the excess, it smelled bad, dried out quickly, was expensive and did not adhear nearly as well as other white glues. I don't see any advantages of using this type of cement for paper models. Maybe if you were building a balsa and tissue model that you were going to fly you might want to consider this type of cement but for a static paper model, I'd stick with white glue.
    Just my two cents.
  8. AdamN

AdamN Member

I use Elmer's gel glue. Its kinda blue but dries clear. Its very tacky, and I don't need much to make things stay stuck. I like to squeeze it into a children's medicine syringe I picked up at a Walgreen's for free. I put a CA glue tip on the syringe and it works great to get very small amounts of glue exactly where I want them.

Just my two cents.
  9. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

Great Idea! I'll have to give that a try. I've used the syringe form a printer ink refill kit but the needle is way too big. Those tips from the CA glue would work great. Thanks!
  10. Patty

Patty King of Swaziland

Well, any non water based or gel SHOULD work.
  11. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

For me Elmers white glue and an Uhu type glue pen have worked well. I pretty much do buildings so there's not all that much stress on the joints.

If people keep adding their $0.02 worth somebody's gonna get rich.
  12. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

I would highly suggest that you guys who are using elmers white glue to give aleenes tacky glue a try...especially the quick dry tacky. Plain white elmers glue has waaaay to much water if you're a real model fanatic. Even the slightest distortion or stretching of the paper can cause some pretty catastrophic gaps and misalignments. You can also create some pretty nasty warps.

I admit that even aleenes glue is a water-based glue, but as long as its used sparingly I have not had problems with it distorting paper, and the "quick dry tacky" has it's benefits when you need something to stay in place can always use the wet glue technique (put glue on BOTH surfaces being bonded) and you'll maintain the ability to adjust the part before the glue sets permanently. You should also know that I never laminate with anything but spray adhesive as you are sure to warp the paper if you use otherwise. Even laminating with aleenes quick dry tacky will cause the paper to's simply too much water in too high of a concentration. Paper and water obviously don't mix.

...hope that made whoever is picking up all this change a little richer :)
  13. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Ditto on the Aleene's. There really is nothing better. I use only this and it's many variations. Very versatile. I don't think you could pay me to switch.
  14. dansls1

dansls1 Member

I use both. I've found that some things I still can't use the aleenes for - it's too tacky and sticks too quickly. When I use Elmer's, it gets put down on plastic and sits, so it's much drier by the time I use it than when it comes out of the tube.