Modeling funk

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
I am in a funk.

As usual, I get about 80% done with a layout, then want to change a few things, and before you know it, I've torn apart 90% of the layout.

Pros: I salvaged all buildings, wiring, and trees, etc.

Cons: I don't know if I really want a layout anymore.

(sigh)

Maybe it's this lousy cold weather, maybe it's that I enjoy scratchbuilding scenes from old photos, maybe it's that I am never happy with a layout cause I rushed to get it done by Christmas to show guests.

Regardless, I don't know what's next. I often feel guilty for not having a layout when people come over. I also feel guilty for wasting money on scenery supplies, and time that probably could have been better spent.

And no, I really can't "walk away from it for a little while", ha.

Your turn to relate......

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
It would seem that every time I hit a small road block with my layout (which is still in the very early stages) I want to wash my hands of the whole thing.
I get so irritated with the whole process that I want to sell everything.
Once I take the time to think about it, I am back "into it" and ready for more.
If you don't mind advice, don't build your layout for guest's sake. It is yours for good or for bad. If you don't take any joy from it, perhaps it is the winter weather or some other reason. Think it through before you scrap it.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Maybe you're looking at the "big picture" and it gets too much...try concentrating on one thing - like super detailing an engine, weathering a building, etc. I sort of feel that way now about my layout...seems like there's so much to do on it - I don't know where to start and don't feel like starting a big project (like re-doing my roads which look pretty bad). So I try to do one small thing...one building, or scenic one 1:1 ft of track.

Don't know if this idea will help...but it's an idea.

(And if it doesn't work...go buy a new engine...that's what I do!)

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Why don't you just sit down at a clean desk w/ plenty of paper,pencils w/ good erasers, a stencil that's for you scale, and your inspiration, and sketch out what you want to do first. After you do that, lay everything out how you want it. That way you can re-arange it w/o destorying a 90 percent completed layout! One final tip relating to tunnels and hills: It's suposed to be natural, not man made, so the more you worry about it, the worse it becomes. Just shape it in the general shape you want it, and let the thing do the rest:thumb:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
How about clearing out the old layout and building something small like a 2X8 switching layout just to work on scenary and track planning and to enjoy pushing cars around a bit. I have a 12 X 20 foot layout that at times overwhelmed me and I stepped back for a while and then returned, so I do understand the occasional funk (ie. what am I doing with this thing!). Hobbies, of course, are supposed to be fun so do whatever you can to make it that way. I recommend something small because it will be completed in a reasonable time, and if you don't like the outcome then clearing it and starting again isn't a big deal. Then, if you like it you can expand on it and make it part of a bigger layout if space allows.
Best wishes!
Ralph

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
csxengineer said:
As usual, I get about 80% done with a layout, then want to change a few things, and before you know it, I've torn apart 90% of the layout.

Hey CSX Engineer,

Been there, done that, threw away the T-shirt. hamr I can't count the number of times when people would come by and want to see trains running, and I wouldn't have anything to show them because I didn't have a layout started or the layout I did have was "down for maintenance." And it is very discouraging. wall1 What got me out of my funk was doing like Ralph suggested and building a smaller layout. I tend to get stuck in "analysis paralysis" - doing so much planning that I was afraid to get started. Building a smaller layout helped me get back into the doing of the hobby.

That being said, don't ever be afraid to tear something back down if it's not right to you or you think you can do it better. Many great model railroaders have torn down extensive well detailed layouts for just that reason. So if you build something and tear it back down again, it's all part of the learning process, and you'll do better next time.

Hope it works out for you. :wave:

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I think you are having a normal model railroader sort of thing. I'm going through something similar right now because of a lack of interest by other folks in our club layout, plus the cold weather. We'll see what happens when spring arrives. I'll have the incentive then to get things finished up so the trains will be running for the opening of the museum. Right now I have a finished double track bridge here at home, an unfinished water feature on the layout and a big gap in the track. I left a note on the control panel that " spring flood washed out the bridge". Hang in there. You will probably never have a 100% perfect layout plan. That's why the real pro's in this hobby are always building new layouts.