Modelik Sd. Kfz 2 NSU KettenKrad Question

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by damraska, May 25, 2004.

1. damraska

damraska Member

I am almost finished with my entry for the Wings of Horus Paper Warbirds competition and looking to the future. To that end, I am hoping someone can help me with a question regarding the Modelik Sd. Kfz 2 NSU KettenKrad (4/04). Does this model feature high production values like the Modelik Sd.Kfz 234/2 PUMA (3/03), or does it look like one of their older kits? Also, does anyone have an approximate part count for this thing?

2. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

The Kettenrad has the same quality of printing and paper as the SdKfz 234/2 Puma. The model is well detailed with a complete engine, ammo cases and jerry cans for the trailer and it may be the next model I will be building. The part count is around 800 or so and I would call I moderate to difficult kit depending on your skills.

I do have a couple of comments on the Puma I have found the part fit to be not up to my expected standards, the wheel hubs need a great deal of rework, fenders are two short and the exhaust system has to be reworked to fit and I am just starting on the turret, I’m not very happy with the model.

Jim Nunn
  3. damraska

damraska Member

Thank you for the information, Jim. I'm looking for a decent Kettenrad to tow the GPM Me 262, and it appears the one from Modelik will work (once resized and perhaps recolored, of course). Planes are great, but I want to start building dioramas, so I'm expanding my horizons.

I'm sorry to hear that the Puma suffers from fit problems. It's one of my favorite armored vehicles, and one of only three armor kits in my stockpile. Oh well.

4. Swinger

Swinger Member

5. Ron

Ron Member

Have you finished the 262 yet? I'm anxious to see finished pics of this one.
    Your album looks great by the way :) Hope you don't mind being on the front page

6. damraska

damraska Member

Swinger, thanks for the link.

I'm just starting the Me 262 (for the second time), but it's a fairly easy build so expect pics of the completed model in a week or two. In fact, I'll take construction pics and do a review.

From memory, the Me 262 construction diagrams leave out some important detail in the segment housing the cockpit and landing gear well. The parts forming the curve where the tail meets the fusalage do not fit well. It definitely needs nose weight. The fairing pieces at the rear of the engines are surprisingly difficult to mount. The model does not include enough parts to finish the nose wheel bay. (GPM sometimes leaves out important parts on otherwise very well done and detailed models, including recent ones. Weird.) Despite these deficiencies, the finished plane looks very nice.

As for being on the front makes me proud.

7. tino

tino Member

Your models are great and I can't wait to see your Me 262.
    I also have this model to build and before start I already see that the diagrams are not very good, specialy for cockpit, but plane is great, I think that it is one of the more beautiful planes ever.
    Talking about modelik I am almost finishing their helicopter PAH 2 HAC Tiger and the fit of the parts are not very good.
    I hope I can post some pictures soon.

Diamantino Mateus
  8. damraska

damraska Member

Hi Diamantino,

Modelik kits scare me a bit. I think I've purchase 6 kits from them in the last two years, and every one had a problem. The older kits I've seen feature cartoonish artwork, often with misaligned color layers. I recently bought their Puma armored car, which includes dramatically better artwork and precisely outlined parts, but thanks to Jim I know it has issues. (Argh! I really wanted to build that one!) But every model is different so I'll try the Kettenrad and hope for the best. Good luck with the Tiger.

9. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Hi Doug,

Don’t let my comments on the fit of the Puma stop you from building the model. I’m very fussy about my model’s it often takes me 6 months or longer to build a model and with all that time invested in the model I expect the kit publisher to put as much effort into designing the model. Because of the poor fit of the wheels and fenders someone who is new to paper models would probably give up on the Puma but for me its just adds to the challenge of the kit. I have not found very many paper models that were completely free of errors, some have missing parts (GPM’s K5 is missing part number 1!!), some have fit problems (Modelik, and HMV’s Mane have fit problems) and almost all of the older designs have poor graphics with the exception of Wilheshavener all this just makes for more fun. If it were easy to build it would be made from plastic.

Perhaps we should start a topic in this forum where modelers could list the problems that they find in the kits. This may get the publishers to make corrective downloads available and also get them to do more then one Bata build.

10. Swinger

Swinger Member

Something more. :)
  11. jrts

jrts Active Member

If this is a kit that has a poof fit, then I would like to see one that does fit.
    The work standard is great.

Look forward to your next!

P.S good idea about the fit section
  12. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Your kettenkrad is a wonderful model, now I know that this will be my next build. What did you use for the wire screen over the engine compartment?

Jim Nunn
  13. Swinger

Swinger Member

No, no, no, that's not my model! :) These here are photos taken at a card models competition held in Kruszwica 3 weeks ago. ;-)

As for fitting, I think that those newer models from Modelik (designed on a computer) should have a good fit. I have also heard good opinions about the designer of the Kettenkrad.

As for wire screens etc., I suggest going to a haberdasher's shop - I did it some time ago and found there fantastic net-style ribbons. :) Just have a look:
  14. Alfred

Alfred Member

This is a Orgianal of Kettenkraftrad (Deutsches-Museum Muenchen)

Regards Ernst
  15. Alfred

Alfred Member

Next Part.
  16. tino

tino Member

I have one picture that maybe you will like to see.[​IMG]