Modelik "Samolot Kozlowskiego 1910" 1/33 scale

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by eatcrow2, Jun 7, 2007.

1. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

You'll like it... The interesting part is figuring out how things are supposed to look. Plans or my brain, are a little vague on some things, but I'm plugging along.

Here's one of the rudders.. showing it before and after I detailed the frames.. Lousy photo, but you get the idea.
  2. DrBill

DrBill Member

Fantastic build, Peter. And I especially like the tensioning wires inside the cockpit! :)
  3. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Thank you Dr. Bill.. The tensioning wires are also functional. I noticed a big difference in the strength of the frame after tying everything up..

Finished off the rudders last night. Rigged with the dreaded fly tying thread <G>, and then set. They actually move up and down, which I think is sort of cool. Just a test fit at the moment, because I don't want them getting tweaked while working on the rest of the plane..
  4. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Showing it from farther back....
  5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Peter, just looked in on this thread and am quite impressed! This is a really fine job on something that looks very difficult. I'm toying with the idea of doing the Wright Flyer, but all those little sticks and rigging have got me worrying!

6. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Rick.. Thanks. Are you talking about the "Orlik" Wright Flyer kit? That would be great to see that being worked on..
    Just do what I do.. start and see how far you get,and if you run into a problem, put it aside and work on something completely different. I'll be working on something else, and a solution will pop into the old nugget from out of nowhere.. The talk on the list about rigging is sort of what got me kick started on this again, and I'm just cruising along until I hit a "how will I do this" snag...;-)
  7. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

I'm at the point where I have to build and install the motor. As it goes in the center of all that framework, there's no way of installing after you add the main wings.

Here I've started building the block, and as you can see from the diagrams that the cylinders are going to be fun..;-)
  8. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Built and installed the gas tank.. Dry brushed with aluminum enamel for more of a metalic look.
  9. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Thanks for showing me the way to this build thread, Peter...this is excellent work!

I've said it before and I'll say it again...your talent amazes me!

Beautiful build!!

10. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Have mounted the motor within the frame. Thought I could add some of the cylinders beforehand, but no way.. Would have worked before rigging maybe, but then I would have had a problem rigging...;-)
  11. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Here's one of the cylinders made up...painted black... highlighted with graphite dust for a metalic finish.. 5 more to go...
  12. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

This project is off to a superb start.

Have you ever thought that our hobby brings back the model BUILDING aspect to model making? Personally, that is what I like about it!

I follow all of your work with interest.

13. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

Great build!

Wouldn't the back half of the fuselage act like a primitive rudder?

N and Z scale models (free samples) at
  14. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Lookin' good! There's nothing like an aircraft (or motorcycle for that matter) where you can see all the machinery.
  15. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Excellent progress, Peter!

As always, a real treat to watch you create this beautiful airplane.

16. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

cylinders added

Thanks to everyone for their comments....

Well I finished off the cylinders and added then to the block. I can see now, that even without the rigging there was no way I was going to be able to insert this motor with cylinders attached without screwing something up. Was not that difficult anyway. Next up will be installing the plumbing that sits on top of everything.

Must have been fun sitting in that seat with the exhaust fumes coming right back at you, along with the motor loudly chugging away...;-)