Modelik Panzer IV Aust G

charliec

Model: Panzer IV Aust G
Publisher: Modelik, 1/02
Scale: 1:25
Format: Hardcopy
Designer: Darius Zygmanski

Seven pages on cardstock, two pages on 80gsm for formers. Instructions in Polish - 2 pages of diagrams plus half a page of text. The instructions are poor - all there is a diagram of card framework for the hull only (not the turret), some diagrams to show the construction of the wheels and a few other components and a 3-view of the model. Print quality is quite good although the light tan colour doesn't seem to match either the sand colour of the Africa Corps or the dark yellow used in Europe after Feb 1943.

The model purports to be of the 10th Panzer Division in Tunisia in early 1943. If that is so the wrong gun is used - the L/48 gun wasn't introduced until March 1943 - the correct gun would probably be the L/43 gun. There is no attempt to model the louvres on the engine deck nor the smoke candle holders on the turret front corners. The track is modelled as two bands of card unlike the choice of built up or simple track in later Modelik armour models. The suspension is simplistically modelled and isn't as nicely done as the later Modelik offerings. There is no interior to this kit - again, unlike the later Modelik kits.

This would be a reasonable kit for modellers with limited experience with armour except for the poor instructions. Don't expect fine detail from this kit - it just isn't there. It is overshadowed by the later Modeilk armour kits such as the Jagdpanzer IV and Hummel models (both originally based on Panzer IV hulls) - these are a class above this offering.

I guess for for experienced armour modellers this kit could be worked up into something reasonable but it would take a serious effort and a lot of parts from the Modelik Jagdpanzer kit.

Instructions: D
Paper quality: B
Level of detail: D
Printing quality: B
Artwork: C
Value for money: C
Skill level: Intermediate because of the instructions

charliec

I guess I'll have to put my money where my mouth is and write up reviews of the Modelik Jagdpanzer IV and Hummel. I'll toss in a review for the Panzer IV Aust D from ICM as well.

On another topic does anyone have reliable RGB or CMYK values for the RAL colours used on WW2 German armour? The web sources and books are both contradictory and confusing.

Regards,

Charlie

charliec

It's probably a matter of belief/prejudice but I don't see why a beginner's model should be less accurate than a more complex model. There are a host of inaccuracies and omissions in the Modelik PzIV, some of which I pointed out in my review, which could be easily fixed and still retain the essential simplicity of the model.

Regards,

Charlie

J

Jim Nunn

Charlie

Oh the issue of RAL colors, as you have indicated in the past that could be a long, long discussion.

You may have run across this web site this has got to be the best reference for colors on the web.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/colorcharts.asp

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/colorcharts_2.asp

I also have a PDF file for Model Master II series Paints the file appears to be an original from Testors and not a scan. I use Illustrator and Photoshop and can copy the colors from the file directly in to the programs seems to be a good starting point for coloring my paper models. If you and the forum want me to upload this file just let me know and I’ll put it in my photo album.

Jim Nunn

R

rickstef

Jim,

upload the file parts bin, that way everyone can get it, and you can save the space for posting pictures.

Rick

charliec

Jim,

As Rick says - upload the colour chart please. As you say the debates about the RAL colours for Wehrmacht armour are endless. I think all we can do is survey the existing opinions and make a judgement call on colours.

Regards,

Charlie

J

Jim Nunn

I have uploaded the color chip file to the parts bin. If you need the RGB or CMYK values for a particular color based on this file drop me a note off list and I’ll get them for you.

Jim Nunn