Modelik IS-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
To use a phrase from Battlestar Gallactica...........

That's fracking amazing!
:shock:

Do you glue the pins in..........to keep them from working their way back out?

john

pashlispaht

Sep 5, 2004
USA
Pins

No, I do not glue the pins in. I have not had a problem with the pins working loose. I also am still working on the tracks; I still must paint them and once I am done with that I might consider glueing them. I have been concerned thet the glue might "seize" the entire part, and I want the tracks to be able to move freely. After all, I am building this model with working roadwheels and torsion suspension.

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
Greetings,

I have to admit that I am not terribly interested in armor/wheeled vehicles (at this point,anyway), but some of the things you guys are accomplishing across the board in thhis competition are truly amazing.

Next thing you know, one of you guys will have a working combustable engine on one of them...

Cheers,
Brad

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
After all, I am building this model with working roadwheels and torsion suspension.
:shock: :shock:

Keep the speed down I would HATE for it to throw a track :D

Hey Brad,

I think they are skipping the internal combustion and going straight to the Hydrogen fuel cell, it smaller!

again WOW!

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Oh My Goodness! :shock:

This is just too amazing!

Pashlisphat, you're skills and attention to detail are just incredible. I feel very lucky to be able to witness the things you are doing with this build.

I truly admire your patience and ingenuity in creating such a mind boggling model.

Thanks for sharing this build with us all.

Cheers!

Jim

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
bowdenja said:
After all, I am building this model with working roadwheels and torsion suspension.
:shock: :shock:

Keep the speed down I would HATE for it to throw a track :D

Hey Brad,

I think they are skipping the internal combustion and going straight to the Hydrogen fuel cell, it smaller!

again WOW!

Thats probably true, combustible engines probably wouldn't agree very well with paper and some of the glues used...

Brad

pashlispaht

Sep 5, 2004
USA
Torsion bars

Concerning the internal combustion engine, I seriously considered building this model with some type of motor, but I have decided to just build it with the existing motor and extensively modify it so it resembles the real one. I am still looking for good photos of the original engine and transmission. I have absolutely no photos or diagrams of the transmission and very few of the type of engine used in this tank. Any help would be appreciated. The engine is one of the areas of this model that is just screaming for more attention. I am surprised that with all the other attention to detail, the designer neglected this area and completely ignored the transmission, air cleaner, and coolant system. I guess I have my work cut out for me!!! Well, here are some photos of another item missing from the model; torsion bars. I built the torsion bars from wire using a template to ensure that they were all uniform, and then I wrapped them with thin paper until I reached the desired thickness. I am waiting for all the suspension and lower hull elements to be completed before I paint any of them. If I paint them all at once, then I should be able to get the same shade of color for all the parts. I had to modify the sides of the hull and cut out the printed torsion bearings and bushings so I could build my own from scratch. As you can see in the photo, the ends of the bars are bent 90 degrees so that they can be anchored into the modified bearing/bushing. When the suspension is installed, the interior ends will be completely covered up, and the torsion bar will be anchored to the hull, allowing for some "flex" in the roadwheels just like the real tank. Trial fits of the items have validated this concept and I should also have no problems with separation of suspension arms from the hull since the arms are not glued to the hull, and the weight is actually being supported by the torsion bars. Anyway, this should give anyone interested some ideas for their own models. I just cannot touch a model without modifying it in some way, shape or form...

Status
Not open for further replies.