Modeler's License

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
As much as I would like to stick to the actual history for my layout, it is not going to happen. I will have to take huge license with alot of things.
How many of you use license on your layouts in major ways?

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
I tend to cleave pretty close to the prototype, with a few exceptions. Of course, selective compression is necessary to turn real-world track alignments into model layouts. I have an Athearn SW7 painted in my roadname, even though the railroad I model never operated an SW7 and it carries a number assigned to an S1. I also have a boxcar painted for a nonexistent railroad (another model railroader who made a freelanced line based on the real-world line I model.) And I managed to score on eBay a Walthers S1 painted in my roadname, but painted in a scheme my prototype did not use until the 1970s (I model the 1950s-60s.) Eventually I will probably have some "railfan special" passenger cars that are models of SN electrics that were either burned for scrap or still exist but aren't yet restored. I may also run some streetcars even though those went away before the period I model.

So, generally, I tend to play fast and loose with the motive power timeline, but other than that I stick pretty close to the history.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Like choosing whether to freelance or model prototype, the amount of modelers license you take is entirely up to you and what you are comfortable with doing. I have a Rivarossi model of the Santa Fe Blue Goose streamlined 4-6-4. The original Blue Goose was scrapped when Santa Fe transitioned from steam to diesel, but in my world it was saved and restored like the 3751 and used for business spcials and railfan trips. I'm also kitbashing an old USRA 4-6-2 Pacific locomotive into the semi streamlined Valley Flyer. The locomotive is not correct, but it will be close enough for me.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
My license is active and well. I just made a trip to the club layout with a newly completed Campbell enginehouse and found that I'm going to have to use "license" to make it fit in the area that is available. Besides that problem, my neighbor module has an airport runway that ends where my enginehouse is at. Hope the FAA doesn't get me for obstructing the airport. Actually, don't try to do a realistic airport on your layout unless you have a lot of space. It just doesn't look good.

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
jetrock said:
So, generally, I tend to play fast and loose with the motive power timeline, but other than that I stick pretty close to the history.

How much of your layout has been financed with poker winnings? sign1

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
My road never existed but the trackage and route do. Because of its close proximity to the Pennsy and the B&O, I try to follow their practices somewhat. I try to give a family look to the equipment in paint and accessories as well. On the other hand, I model a 30" gauge subsidiary line in an area that barely supported a lone standard gauge one and my road's tourism division owns a collection of working steam that rivals any museum. Did I mention the only working steam rotary plow this side of the Mississippi.:thumb:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I sure do! I've loosely modeled a part of NY but changed the town names, made only a limited effort to model the towns accurately, and added a fictional freelanced railroad that interchanges with the Penn Central.
Ralph

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Unfortunately, I operate so outside prototypical operations, no regulatory agency will license me. But I runs what I likes - and likes what I runs. (Although my grammar suffers as a result. :thumb:

hilldrum

Nov 21, 2006
Henderson, NC
Speekin' of which, A PO-lice man came by my house the other day and he gave me a 1,000 fine for having no Class-O license and nearly 'thowed me in jail. Go figure:rolleyes:

--Hill

RioGrande

Jun 10, 2004
I tend to not care for the freelance layouts I've seen in numerous model RR articles. Why? Because they generally relate to nothing I've ever seen. It's true that some have done a good job at looking really lie a RR that could have existed. Some notable exceptions are Allegany Midland (Tony Koester), the V&O by Allen McClelland, and Ohio Southern (Jim Hediger). Those are all ficticious right?

When I see a good representation of a real RR, especially Western, now that is cool!

MadModeler

May 20, 2006
Cannonball said:
This is why my rail line is completely made up. :D

Amen! The town I'm planning for my new layout is also completely made up but I will be making it up from models of actual buildings, ones I've completely dreamed up and combinations of actual buildings. Should be a challenge.:D

Modelers licence?? What?? :eek:ops:
You mean other than locomotives that don't smoke (or steam), wide-wide wheel treads and flanges, couplers that couple when closed, switches with point rails broken in the middle that mysteriously move with no one around, .............. I think it would be a bit of fun to tabulate all the non-proto features of our models!:D :D :D

But I really like the way David put it..."all my rolling stock are models of what it would have had." I mean, that covers yer butt!:thumb: :D

hilldrum

Nov 21, 2006
Henderson, NC
But... If it is a REAL model, don't forget about the FRA forms ;-).
Including those of required steam boiler inspections, and the incident/accident reports.
--Hill