Modelers in Austin, TX

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Texmax, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Texmax

Texmax New Member

Is there anyone on this forum who lives in the Austin, Texas area and would be willing to help out a newbie?

I'm returning to HO model railroading after a long hiatus, and would like to connect with others in my locale who are modeling and operating trains. I'm particularly interested in realistic operations. I've done some reading on the subject, but I'd really like to see how others put the theories into practice on their layouts.

2. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Hey there, I'm from Houston and also new. I've learned a ton just by reading and by asking questions here at the Gauge. If you can't find anyone there in Austin to help you out, just ask around here.
  3. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

not from Texas but :wave: welcome to the gauge :wave:
  4. HOseeker

HOseeker New Member

Hello Max

Just thought I would let you know there are a few Train Shows in Texas in the near future. On March 4, in Longview, March 11, in Fort worth, and April 15, in New Braunfels. Also, last October I attended the Austin Model Railroad Jamboree. At this event there was a home tour of local modelers layouts. I haven't seen any flyers for this event for this year. I would ask about this train show at your local hobby shop. If there are any LHS left in Austin. I heard Village Hobbies on Anderson Lane closed recently. Is that true?

Visit this web site. There are links to HO related sites and many pages of helpful information to help identify and repair older trains.

5. J&A_RR

J&A_RR Member

max, the train show jamboree that larry mentioned usually happens once in the spring and then fall in round rock(maybe once a year, can't remember). small show with just vendors but a map is handed out with a tour of personal layouts in the area. Also clubs will get together that weekend with a show that is pointed out on the map. at least six layouts are usually in the round rock/georgetown area alone. you can really get to know some people in the hobbie quick this way. check with kings hobbies on north lamar about the dates of this show.
    again, great way to meet a lot of people in the hobbie when an area layout tour is done as nicely as this jamboree is.
  6. systemwiz_2000

systemwiz_2000 New Member

Hey austin

I am fellow Ho train freak in austin. Yes village hobby did close :(
    the guy who owned got sick or died not sure which (herd it from a friend)

actually i am from bastrop. Have lousy layout that i just love. Full of junk trains can only go around everyonce in awhile I tear up track put back etc. i love it. has subscription to MR love that too. Kings is the only LHS worth anything left here.
    drop me an e-mail or something..

and welcome to the gauge
  7. Texmax

Texmax New Member

Thanks for the replies and the welcoming remarks, folks. Much appreciated.
  8. petey

petey Member

Austin Area Clubs

Go to this link, find the region for Austin, and you will see a list of clubs:
  9. HOseeker

HOseeker New Member

Train Show Near Austin

Thought I would post Max a reminder about this train show.

19th Annual Model Railroad Jamboree
    Model Railroad, Train Show and Sale

New Braunfels Civic Center
    380 S. Seguin Ave.
    New Braunfels, TX

Saturday, 4/15/2006, 9 am to 5 pm

Admission Fees
    $6; $2 (13-17 years); $1 (5-12 years)
  10. I-GN

I-GN New Member

The only two real model railroading stores left in town are King's Hobby & the Collectible Caboose, up north in Cedar Park, TX, just off of US183 on FM1431. The CC just start several years ago, and is a very nice place. Another train show in this area is the Hill Country Railfar, the 4th weekend in June, in Burnet, TX.

BTW, I'd always like to meet a fellow model railroader in the area, live in Leander myself. Also interested in proto. operations, model the MP in Austin in 1950 in N-scale. Sort've weird there's no HO-scale club in town, what with AustNTRAK, Tinplate Trackers, and Heart of Texas G Gaugers, the closest one must be SAMRA in San Antonio.