ModelCard USS Arizona question

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
Hi All

Does anyone here have Modelcards USS Arizona? Its in measure 2 and the torpedo bulges look different than the ones on DN's Arizona. I was thinking that it might be possible to model the USS Maryland using an amalgamation of USS California and MC Arizona frames. The only Arizona I have seen is selling for 50 bucks and thats not in the budget.

Vernon

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Vernon, I have the MC Arizona. Funny thing is that I've never really took the time to look through the model until your question. The similarities in design between the MC and DN are amazing, yet there are still several things done differently beteween the two.

I can't tell that much diffence in the hull construction between the two models. What you propose would be challenging to say the least. I'm not sure you could make the MC Arizona mate with the California parts. It would be an interesting experiment for sure. It might be easier to use the MC Arizona hull from the weather deck down and modify it from the deck up. It would likely involve some extensive scratch building though...

Any thoughts?

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
What I'm thinking of doing is using MC Arizona hull ribs as templates to modify the California's hull to that of the Maryland. I'm adding a pic of the resin model of Maryland which is what got all this started in my mind. In the first photo of Maryland you can see the torpedo bulge. The 2nd and 3rd photos show the hull with good detail of the torpedo bulges which i think are very much like that of the MC Arizona. I started cutting out ribs and keels to just see what may work last night and over the course of 8 hours or so got the Arizona and most of the California cut out from 60 lb cover stock to use as templates.

Vern

Attachments

• h83065.jpg
    h83065.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Mary7424pfq.jpg
    Mary7424pfq.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Mary7425paq.jpg
    Mary7425paq.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 11

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Ah, I see where you're heading with this. So, you're going to have to test fit the hull plating as you go and modify it to fit the MC Arizona formers... Gotcha.

The one thing that stands out to me in this exercise is that the Arizona formers will have to modified somewhat in the fo'csle area since the two ships differ greatest in this area. In the quarter deck area as you approach the stern, you'll have some modifications to there as well. Here's plan view of both vessels so you can see what I'm talking about...

Attachments

• uss-bb39-arizona.jpg
    uss-bb39-arizona.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 20
  • MD.JPG
    MD.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 10

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
Exactly what I was thinking. Also looking at the Maryland hull it might be possible to just cut down the California hull ribs to conforn to the pre rebuild configuration. Using the pics of Maryland as well as the fore and aft decks of California as templates. I bought a set of curved nautical rulers years ago and they're helpful.

Vernon

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
Hey Eib

My Karma must be exceptionally good because I was looking through my books and found in book 36 called The Big Five hull plans for the Maryland after getting the air tanks added. If you want them I'll scan them and send them to you.

Vernon

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Hey thanks Vernon. I'd love that information.

So little is published on the pre-war characteristics of the Newport Conference design battleships. Or at least I posses very little of it. :)

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
Here are the scans of Tennessee and Marylands hull as well as Marylands outboard plan. Send me your email by private message and I'll attach them for a better view if you need/want to.

Vernon

Attachments

• Maryland hull001.jpg
    Maryland hull001.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Tennessee hull001.jpg
    Tennessee hull001.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 17
  • Maryland plan002.jpg
    Maryland plan002.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 18