Modelart F15C question

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by dansls1, Jan 16, 2008.

1. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Ok - so I purchased this kit for my father for Christmas, with the caveat that I have to print it for him. I didn't realize until I got the files that it is formatted for A4 paper. As I've been unable to find A4 card / cover stock simply / cheaply in the US, or legal sized either, I'm considering my options. Has anybody tried printing this at full size on 8.5 x 11" paper? Does it end up cutting off any of the parts? A simple print preview made it look like you'd be ok, but sometimes that's not representative.
    Obviously the other option is to find a standard reduction (say 95%) to print all the pages slightly smaller so they'll fit - but if I don't need to do this I'd rather not.
    Thanks for any assistance ;)
  2. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Sometimes, the kit uses up a lot of space with some non-essential printing, that you don't need. A quick and dirty solution is to tape a small strip of card to the top or bottom of a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet. That will take care of the stuff that's printed that is just verbiage or header. It's worked for me with Marek's models, though in some instances I've had to print the page twice - once to get the complete part at the top of the page, and again to get the complete part at the bottom. In the case where a part spans the entire page, this won't work. Also, check to see how much of the print is lost due to your margins. Set them to as small as possible before printing the page.

Another technigue is to cut the parts from the page using software such as Gimp, PSP, or Photoshop, and rearrange them onto a new page for printing. Just be sure you align the parts with the grain of the paper.

I'm surprised that you couldn't find inexpensive cardstock in the 11" x 14" size. Check with WalMart or Staples/OfficeMax/Office Depot.

Good luck. I have this kit but haven't attempted it yet. BTW, there used to be a nice Build report by Michael Cittadino on the old site. I saved it as reference for my own F-15C build. Let me know if you could use it.
  3. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

If print preview makes it look like everything will fit, you likely have the "scale to fit" option turned on. It should not fit onto 8.5x11 without cropping things off. What you could do, and what I have done in the past, is to go to Kinkos or wherever you get your normal paper. Get a sheet of 11x17 inch. Then cut the 11 inch sides down to 8.5 inches with a straight edge slicer.

If memory serves me right, A4 is longer than 11 inches, but more narrow than 8.5 inches. This means you'll have plenty of spare paper left on each page, but at least you'll be able to get it all printed. Make sure you look at your print settings before hand and change the settings to A4 and make sure that the "scale to fit" box is NOT checked. Hope that helps.
  4. dansls1

dansls1 Member

The 'scale to fit' box wasn't checked on the preview, but there is a border around the edges and the edge of the paper was inside the border. So it was definitely cutting off portions of the printable area, I just couldn't tell if it'd actually cut off anything from parts.
    I suppose I could buy a bunch of 11 x 14" card and cut pages down to legal (8.5 x 14"). {I could even cut it to A4, which is ~8 x 11.7" but probably not necessary}. Not a bad idea - and one I hadn't thought of. I was looking for legal and A4 because I know they will both fit into the printer without trimming.
    Thanks for the offer of the build thread. When I ordered they sent a huge zip file full of build pictures. In scanning through them, it looks like one of the best documented builds I've ever seen. If my dad runs into problems when he gets to the build, I'll keep in mind that you may have more reference, but for now I think he'll be good to go.
  5. JustForFun

JustForFun Member

I purchased this kit as well. I ended up going to a paper specialty store (Paper Zone) and getting a ream of 67lb legal size card stock. 8 1/2 by 14 and it came out just fine.

Does anyone think 67lb is too thin for this model? I haven't had the courage to start it yet.
  6. dansls1

dansls1 Member

It recommends 180 g/m2, which is very close to 67lb depending on which reference you look at.
    I noticed that the formers recommended printing on standard paper, but I didn't get far enough to see what thickness they get laminated to, it may vary depending on where it goes as well.
    I hope you do a build thread up Justforfun - I don't know when my dad will actually get the chance to work on building his ;)
  7. JustForFun

JustForFun Member

Thanks for the recommendaions. I've been working on a couple of the other ModelArt kits (P-51 and P-40) as skill builder excercises. Much too embarassing to post pics though. I'm planning on making them again and I'll post those. The formers on these kits has been 1mm and they seem to go together ok (barring my clumsiness).
  8. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

interesting....i started a thread asking about this A4 printing problem.....the only response i got was to go buy a4 paper.
  9. JustForFun

JustForFun Member

Sorry you didn't get many replies.....I usuallly throw my 2 cents in when I get the chance.
  10. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I myself have only been getting back to replying in the last week. I've been sort of MIA. Sometimes, folks don't reply simply because the question is imbedded in a thread may not interest them. I favor aircraft threads but also view threads of ships and armor. Anime and Scifi to a much lesser degree. You could also try performing a search before posting to see if a similar question has been previously posted. The only problem with that is you need a minimum of characters. A search for 'A4' would not work, but 'printing' shwould bring back plenty.
  11. sr5nm

sr5nm Member

Just print it on the 8.5x14 paper. There is no need to cut it down. Your printer will leave some blank at the top and bottom. Set the paper size to 'Legal' and you should be good. It worked for me, until my Canon stopped feeding anything. That's a whole 'nother issue, not related to the paper.