Model trains of the future

alex_mrrkb

Nov 13, 2002
Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
www.mrrkb.com
Hi !

Today at work I was thinking about all the tiny improvements that have been made our model trains in hte last 10-20 years ...

DCC, standard (somewhat) couplers, flywheels, smaller motors ...

It got me thinking: What's next ? What will be the next thing (big or small) for our hobby ?

Now is the time to start dreaming ! Tell us about what you'd like to see on the market ... tell us what you'd need but doesn't exists !

Here are my sugestions:

- Inoxydable rails (or even better: rail that don't get dirty !)
- Smaller decoders (and sound decoders) so that they fit even easier in my N scale motive power
- Motors with even more torque at slow speed (for yard switching)
- DCC-controlled uncoupling : I know it exists but it seems soooo hard to achieve !
- Water : I haven't tried anything on the market yet but they all seem like a very big job, or the results are not all impressive. Wouldn't it be grate to just pour and let dry ?

As I said: DREAM ! Tell us whatyou'd really like ... all thoses littles thingies that annoy you from time to time ...

:) Happy holidays from Montréal !

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Great wish list Alex! How about a mechanical uncoupling system that would open the coupler of a car if you touched the roof walk or the brake wheel? Imagine just lightly tapping a car and it comes uncoupled!
Ralph

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Alex, An interesting question. Although its been around for awhile in some form or another I think we may see a lot more interfacing between computers and model railroads available on a commerical basis. It will be an extended version of DCC control and will among other things let you run multiple trains by measuring the time, speeds, # of cars and etc so that the trains run exactly like a real railroad with all of the real life variences built in.

Me....I don't like that!!!:D...I like to turn knobs, push buttons and throw switches!!! :D :D

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Hello Alex,

I would like little plastic folk who can build their own timber structures. :D :D

Kato locos selling for 20% less than existing lowest prices.

Peco N track with American spikes (code75 or 80).

Model sprayguns that clean themselves.

A wider variety of N figures (also for different eras).

Tiny high intensity white LED's for lighting.

Easily obtainable tiny (sub miniature) two-pin plugs and sockets.

:) That's all I can think of in 5 minutes :D

Errol

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Cool Stuff Available NOW...

Here's one.

Radio controlled vehicles. Already there are 1/43 scaled R/C cars, and with these new "micro-racers" that are currently all the rage, I think it is merely a matter of time before we can "drive" a scale vehicle through our layouts...a different body, and a little ge-gearing, and off we go.

I think that would be cool, and a HUGE hit at train shows.
:)

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
As far as predictions go, I'll agree with Vic, we'll see more computerization at a more affordable price. Probably the home PC will play a greater role than just programming a DDC chip. It will become the controller, and monitor status, and give us live video feedback. Real hobbies and virtual hobbies will merge and it will become a true 3 dimmensional video game the size of your garage, or basement, or spare room, or shelf.

As far as what I want, yes I agree with Errorl. More productivity our of those lazy little plastic people is what we need to really move forward. I just can't seem to get them motivated enough to do anything on their own. If I'm not there, nothing gets done. I don't think there is a single leader umong them either.

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
What I'd really like is a trend (at least in part) BACK to the future. For instance, more small detail parts (particularly old-time steam) available whether or not they'll sell a gazillion pieces a year. (I'm thinking Kemtron, here.)

And I'd also be pleased if more locos and rolling stock were offered as undecorated kits --- in addition to RTR. They probably wouldn't be much cheaper (what with offshore, near-slave labor available for assembly) but at least there would be less work (such as paint stripping and disaassembly) for modelers, and they wouldn't be so likely to be designed only for factory, semi-permanent assembly.

Bill S

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
more small detail parts (particularly old-time steam) available whether or not they'll sell a gazillion pieces a year. (I'm thinking Kemtron, here.)

In ALL scales!!!

I want a smoke generator....that makes a non-toxic, black smoke and steam mix, that can be all smoke,or all steam, or both, that smells like coal smoke, and floats a proper scale height above the train, and stays for at least a third of the train length before it dissipates. It should also vent steam through the whistle, every time the whistle is blown, and through the cylinder drain cocks whenever they are opened. The sound unit should have the drain cock sound, to go with the steam. And,,while I'm on the subject of sound,, the whistle should be correct for the loco/road, and be a more "analog" function so that it can be "personalized" to the engineer.
Hey, if I'm going to dream, dream big!:D :D

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
vic now you have me drooling thats one hell of a power pack:cool: :cool: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D ;) ;) :p :p :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: rich

(hon what did you do with the old stereo set)yes officer will keep the steam engines down and the horns

DanRaitz

May 30, 2002
Maricopa, AZ, USA
Water Wish Fullfilled!!!

If you haven't tried the Woddland Scenics Realistic water, DO SO!
It is just pour it out of the bottle and let dry. The only thing that I had to do was thin it a little with distilled water so that it flows easier. But other than that it works and looks GREAT:D

Dan

My future layout!

I got the idea from MIT's model railroad club and they do this!!!:eek:

First I want the internet users be able to drive the trains!!!! I would need either a T1 or T3 internet connection to do this. Also I would have to have a LARGE layout because of the time delay on the internet!:( (Even with T1 or T3 there is a delay!)

Then I want web cams scatter thought the layout. In the locomotive, so the internet "engineer" can see what they are doing! In the passenger cars. This gives the illusion of you actually being in the car! A caboose. Even by standards at the train station or even in the street! :eek: Also in buildings looking out to the tracks or a city scene.

How about the cross overs be remote too! In a room that the light is time to simulate day and night? Moving cars and trucks? Sounds of the "real" world? If you do winter, what about "snow"? Adding real water for rivers, streams, lakes?

Like I said. It's a BIG dream. However, the students at MIT does it! I forgot that web site. I'll have to find it.

One problem though. I would have to get another hobby after building it because I'm not needed any more! :(

Happy Holiday's,
Andy