model train magazines

Soul Embrace

Jun 5, 2006
decatur, alabama
what are some good magazines on model trains?
i'm mainly interested in a magazine that shows people's layouts and good tips and advice on making your own layouts.

thx

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Welcome to the Gauge! Model Railroader probably has the best layout coverage of any of the mags. Railroad Model Craftsman and Model Railroading have a lot of good articles on scenery and structure building. Mainline modeler has really good features on detailing specific locomotives. I think for intructions on how to build a layout form benchwork to scenery, your best bet would be to look over some of Kalmbach (Model Railroader Publisher) paper back book titles. They regularly reprint articles that have appeared in various issues of the magazine into a book with a unifying theme, whether it is a book with 6 Small Railroads You Can Build, or a book of trackside details, books on building benchwork, books on kitbashing structures, or even books dedicated to building one specific layout from benchwork to finished scenery, they have a bunch of titles that are sure to help you out. Lastly, don't overlook the Gauge. If you spend a few hours browsing the boards here, you will find a wealth of information on just about every aspect and type of construction used in building a model railroad. If you want to see what can be done with almost nothing, take a tour into the academy and start browsing through "Robin At His Best." He would build craftsman quality structures that would rival some of the best Fine Scale Miniatures kits, and do it in n scale out of old cereal boxes, sequines, and bits of junk!!!

Soul Embrace

Jun 5, 2006
decatur, alabama
thanks for the reply and welcome, i will probably check out the Model Railroader cause i really enjoy see other people's stuff and what they have done. it's going to be a while before i can start on my layout cause i have 2 other things i have to get done first, 1.) pay off my car 2.) buy a house, i will have my car paid off by this november/december. so in the mean time i will be doing most of my research here.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I find the best source for magazines is the local club, and the local train shop. They both offer back issues at pennies on the dollar (CAN$0.25 at the club, and CAN$0.50 at the store). That means I can get a whole year for less than the cost of the current issue. It is a bit of a mixed bag sometimes, but I often find issues as recent as "same time last year".

Andrew

Mike Hamer

Mar 5, 2006
Russ provided an excellent reply to your question and Andrew's advice should be well taken as well. I've found volumes of entire years in the "used" section at the hobby shop. One thing is for certain, the year doesn't matter if you want to see some great layouts and get ideas...so back issues are valuable. In fact I recently used information gleaned from an article in a 1960's era Model Railroader issue to scratchbuild a new structure for my layout! Good luck with your model railroading endeavours! :D

Soul Embrace

Jun 5, 2006
decatur, alabama
thanks everyone for the replies! i live in a kinda small town with only one hobby shop here. it's pretty new and i haven't been in it yet, it's only open on staurdays, so i will be checking it out this saturday though. i did subscribe to Model Railroader last night, i used to subscribe to it about 10-15 years ago so it will be good to start back reading it again.

Harpo

Jan 21, 2005
Raleigh NC
Don' t forget, also, Half-bay, Amazon.com, as sources especially for the Kalmbach paperback books; you can often find those for under 5.00, which is a whole lot better than 15.00 or 20.00.

Harpo