Model Rockets and Railroads

richalex2010

I am in to model rocketry and I am planning my N scale layout. I only have a 4x8 foot space, but I want to put in a rocket launch site (a real one, not just model rockets) in my layout. Does anyone have ideas about what rocket to model (US only. military, NASA, X-Prize...).

F

Fred_M

Why not model the MX rail system as invisioned in the 70's? Fred

richalex2010

Can you tell me more about that, or post a link to a web page that does? I want it to be a functioning rocket too, so when it is in N scale, it should be 13 mm in diameter.

jetrock

Modeling the MX rail-borne system would be interesting--although in N scale even the smallest model-rocket engines wouldn't quite fit--and launch would be hard on scenery and rolling stock!! It might be worth trying in HO, though.

A possible idea would be to model some sort of government or military-industrial corporate facility: a rail connection could bring in supplies to the facility that builds and tests rockets. Now, typically rocket launch/test facilities tend to be very remote, both to keep them away from prying eyes and to avoid damaging anything that an out-of-control rocket might smack into, so modeling one might be a bit of a challenge to do in a realistic fashion...

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
My vote...

richalex2010 said:
I am in to model rocketry and I am planning my N scale layout. I only have a 4x8 foot space, but I want to put in a rocket launch site (a real one, not just model rockets) in my layout. Does anyone have ideas about what rocket to model (US only. military, NASA, X-Prize...).

Is for X-Prize.

richalex2010

I'll remove the rocket to fly it. I also don't really care about the location being correct, but that is true. It seems, however that I've had more luck than NASA has with my rockets (maybe because my biggest rocket is only 4 inches in diameter? Hmm...). As to the manufacturing facility, good idea. I've been planning to add an industry to my plan, or change the one I have. Thanks!

How about building JFK, and modeling the old saturn 5's!!!!! You could build a VAB, get a flag for it, and build the crawler too!!! Now that would be a layout to die for IMHO!!! Then again, any kid from Orlando is a NASA nut!!! You could use softballs for the O2 and Nitrogen tanks that sit off the pad, and you could even go prototypical and build an A pad and a B pad! Sorry, you just got my imagination going! Then you could take some old rockets you got, build a tiny little museum on the layout, and build the rocket garden in the back of the building. Ok, I'll shut up for now. If you actually like it, PM me, and I can think of more stuff, or not! :rolleyes: :D

Sorry to put everyone to :sleeping:

-doc

davido

man, you need to make a trip to redstone arsenal in huntsville, al! werner von braun used railroad tank cars half buried in the ground for bunkers from which to view the rocket test stand. the stand and cars are still there.

david

richalex2010

I am going to make a bunch of 13 mm Stonebreaker/AXs (from Apogee Comonents' E-Zine newsletter #75 [http://www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/newsletter75.pdf]) and put them on a small, removeable area of my layout so that I can mount on a tripod (like the Estes Porta-Pad) and fly them from my diorama. I will also have an assembelly (I know thats not spelled right) building and several extra AA (anti-astroid, not anti-aircraft) missiles (so if I loose one at a launch, I can still have the rocket ready to save the planet. I'll also have several specially made (modified) transport flatcars and a portable launcher (RR car) like the MX rail system had. On to my next project (the 31 3/4 inch rail gun that was on Mail Call the other day)!! Not really, but it would be cool (25 trainloads of equipment, what's wrong with that on a 4x8 foot layout based in the present day Va. Blue Ridge mountains? After all, it is a German WWII gun!)