Model repaint using Photoshop

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boris, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Boris

Boris Member

Hi Guys
    I use Photoshop 6.0 for model repaint .The repaint principals are equal to the mr.Vyacheslav Sokolets' system with my own additions .Would someone like to know about this system ?

2. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi Boris,

Will be great if u can share your knowledge to every members here, we will appreciated so much if u can make a tutorial of re-paint use by photoshop
  3. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Yes, please. I would be very much interested in comparing notes and learn. Best, Leif Oh
  4. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Boris...most definitely! I can use all the help and ideas I can get my hands on to do the repaints I would like to do. 8v)
  5. jrts

jrts Active Member

Yes please more help the better

6. gera

gera Member

Yes.....the more we know about techniques the better.....please tell us :shock:
  7. Boris

Boris Member

I wrote the article about repainting system using Photoshop
    For some reason I cant upload it .Any suggestions ? Its size is 5MB and it's an html file
  8. rickstef

rickstef Guest

if you can, try to make the file smaller, and maybe a pdf file too.

let Ron or me know when you have it uploaded, so we can approve it

9. Boris

Boris Member

Is there a partucular size I should get to ?And where I should upload to ( I mean specific location) ?
  10. rickstef

rickstef Guest

try to get it as small as possible.

just upload it, and Ron or I can move it

11. Boris

Boris Member

There is a limited max size for upload (45 kB) so here's the link to this article Repaint.htm
    I don't know how long this site is going to be up but if it crashes, let me know by private message
  12. Huey

Huey Member

GREAT TIP! Thanks for that quick "tutorial" :D , I'm sure a lot of the guys here will try their hands on this.
  13. gera

gera Member

Thank you Boris.....I just printed the article, will check it out tonight.....THANK YOU ........put some pictures of your models
  14. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Many thanks Boris. There were some really good tips on how to use tools I haven't familiarized myself with yet, and I'll certainly learn from you.

Everyone, please note that you can save Boris' article to your own computer (save the whole page). You will then get a page called "Model Repaint.html" and a folder called "Model Repaint_files" or something like that. This can be opened in your browser at leisure, without being connected.

Please not that you should go into the folder and trash a file called "flash.js". This is a commercial which blots out part of the article.

Leif Oh
  15. Boris

Boris Member

Hi Guys !
    Leif Oh is right . Feel free to download and save this page to your computer. The server that the article is on, is a free russian e-mail provider ,so there is a lot of commercials (it wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't in russian language) .
    BTW ,all the credit for this system of repainting should go to mr.Vyacheslav Sokolets ( ) .I only added some pen tool work and translated his ideas

Here are some implements of this system (Israeli camouflaged McDonnell-Douglas F-4E Phantom II from "The One" squadron - this was existing plane as for year 1999- based on Maly Modelarz design )
    Pictures were taken approx. two weeks before I ended the construction :

and here you can see the tech writings I made (in hebrew , of course )

Oh one more thing . This model was built as a birthday present for my friend that served on this aircraft during his military service .He placed it on a shelf in his restaurant and the model fell one day from 2.5 meters high and someone stomped on it :cry: Nevermind
  16. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Very nice work! You have demonstrated that it is indeed possible to recolour successfully. - Leif
  17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member I have one more example of how badly I make paper models. Wonderful work, sorry that it no longer exists. Thanks for the how-to article. Boy I really love this site!
  18. andrzejamr

andrzejamr New Member

That does look good. I am working on this very same design from MM and I must say that it kicks my a$$. I have one engine done, and I am afraid that the other side will take just as long - so I shelved it. Can you comment on which parts you needed to rework, above and beyond the recoloring business?
  19. Boris

Boris Member

To andrzejamr
    Oh boy , where do I start ?
    Actually the fuselage fits pretty nice except the parts num. 2-3 But other than this there's no problem
    But the engines are different story - I had a big problem with their shape - it should be narrow on the center and wider on the start and on the end . Also the air intakes are wrong shape - check some referense stuff and you'll see that looking from above the air intake should make sharp angle with the fuselage and not a straight angle.
    More , cockpit fitting is just horrible .
    Next, the landing gear bays are missing
    BTW I didn't ever see pictures of this plane with two AIM-7 Sparrow missiles on the inside pilons only in armor bays (i.e 4 Sparrow missiles on the aircraft only ) And there should have been AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles installed on the inside pilons , two on each
    Well that's about it . If I'll remember something more I'll add to this thread (if it's OK with our respectable moderator )
  20. FlintknapperGene

FlintknapperGene New Member

Hi Boris
    It pays to surf. In a moment of boredom some months back, I happened upon the cardmodeling hobby, got delighted, and dip in here every so often even though I am not currently building. I'm a stick & tissue airplane modeler most of the time, and it just happens that some of the guys on the lists in that hobby are currently discussing how to print tissue for their models usiong various means--and this fits right in. I'm stealing your link and posting it over there, and many many thanks!
    By the way, card modelers could pick up a thing or two about such niceities as structure and reinforcement from the stick & tissue guys, too, go have a look.