Model Railroading Terms That Make Me Nutz!

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Hehehehehehe-

I know it's a personal thing but, there are MR terms and phrases that absolutely make me nutz when I hear 'em. If you're going to suggest I seek professional help- too late. I'm around the bend and there's no coming back. Perhaps you'll share that special phrase you hear uttered and your blood pressure rises.

Here's a few of the ones that press my buttons- try 'em!

"...walked away with the whole yard"!:curse:

"...waiting in the pocket".:(

"...in the hole".:rolleyes:

OK- it's time for my meds.

Mark :)

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Mark,Here some more before you go and take your meds.
DS
DS'ing
kick
YM
shove
Puller
Coffee Grinder
Shanky
Ballin' the jack
WABASHED
Chock a block
Hammer Head.

Well thats it..Now off to Columbus I go! :D

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Originally posted by shaygetz
Is it a "turnout" or a "switch"? I still throw into a 70s flashback when my train orders tell me to "pickup reefer at..." :eek:

In this part of the world, it's a "set of points". "Points failure" is the term they use when the trains are delayed. And you "switch" the "points". :)

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Shaygetz,Being a old brakeman to me a track switch will be just that a SWITCH..A turnout( a coat and boots) is what a firefighter wears to a scene of a fire or accident.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Woodie-"AAaauuuuugghhh!":D ;) :p

Brakie-"Being the son and brother of fireman (The squirtin' water kind), you can understand my quandry."

Will-"That hurts, man that hurts"

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Ok, explain this....

We have used the term "turnout" to avoid confusion between what the real world calls a switch and all the electrical switches that are/were common, especially with cab control DC.

So why is the device that throws the points still called a switch machine? :confused: Why isn't is a (for example) Tortoise turnout machine???

Andrew

F

Fred_M

Come on guys it's just a hobby. They are toy trains. The defintion of toy is at http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entries/72/t0297200.html and definition #3. states; " An amusement; a pastime:". So I am proud to play with my toy trains on my muddy set. How about your toy computer set? Does that bother you? (cause it is a set and probally a toy too). Words are like buttons, and the more you have the more people will push them. FRED